NEW IN STORYLINE 360: New Triggers Panel and Workflow

Oct 29, 2019

Storyline 360 just got even better. Now you can more easily manage your triggers and work faster with the new triggers panel and workflow. 

You can quickly make edits to triggers directly in the trigger panel with easy-to-use drop-down lists. You can collapse triggers and group them by event type, so they’re easier to find and make changes to. You can also click and drag to change the order of triggers. Plus, you can disable individual triggers for faster troubleshooting. 

You can turn the new workflow on and off at any time in your Storyline 360 options. We think you’re going to love it!

Check out this video to see the new triggers panel and workflow in action:

76 Replies
Joe Schelb

I have made the change to the new trigger update and found that you can no longer access the base layer in the When section of the Trigger wizard. I have a button that is being selected on the base layer. There is another object on another layer that is supposed to change stage when you select the item on the base layer. How do I access objects on the base layer from another layer? If you see the video there is a trigger that is unassigned, unassigned. I need to trigger to look like the triggers unassigned at the top.

Adrian Dean

Hi Joe - So I had to double check to make sure, but what you are seeing is expected behavior. I took a look at the video you shared as well as the file. Nothing has changed behavior wise from what was possible in previous versions of Storyline 360.

This can be confirmed on your end if you revert to the old Classic wizard/panel via Storyline Options - https://community.articulate.com/series/articulate-storyline-360/articles/articulate-storyline-360-user-guide-how-to-set-options#features

Please let me know if you have any questions or if there is anything I can help you with, regarding this or anything else. 

Adrian Dean

Hi Wendy - From Joe's video, he's trying to have a trigger on a layer interact with an object on the base layer using a 'When the State of' trigger. The issue he is seeing is expected behavior.

Most triggers on layers are unable to interact with other layers including the base layer and has been that way for some time.

Ben McKenna

For what it's worth Adrian - this actually used to be achievable as Joe pointed out. I've attached a screencast showing how it behaves with the older trigger window. If you select an object on the layer first, you can interact with base layer objects. Clearly the fact that you could only do it under certain conditions meant that it was never intended, but it was incredibly useful and let you create some complex interactions.

Doesn't make sense NOT to officially support this as a feature as far as I'm concerned.

Wendy Farmer
Adrian Dean

Most triggers on layers are unable to interact with other layers including the base layer and has been that way for some time.

I'm totally confused then (and it doesn't take much - LOL) . I'm on the incorrect layer in the wizard and I can see objects on the base and on the layer itself - or are you referring only to specific triggers?

Ray Cole

Hi Curtis,

Based on your post, I've been holding off on upgrading my copy of Storyline because my current big project has a couple of important web objects in lightboxes. I'm wondering if you and your team have managed to solve the issues you reported above with web objects in the latest Storyline build.

Cheers!

rob condon

Hi, We are experiencing a bug with new trigger panel where some triggers reset without any interaction. This is mainly happening in the modern player next and prev buttons. The triggers are set to jump to a specific slide but change to jump to the next slide or to the slide itself on publish.  2 developers are experiencing this has anyone else?

Katie Riggio

Hi there, Rob. I haven't seen reports of this behavior on the latest update, so I'm glad you reached out!

A few questions to help us unlock what's happening:

• Is this happening in any Storyline 360 file or a certain one?
  • Can I confirm that you and your team are working on a local C: drive (C:)
  • With your permission, we're happy to troubleshoot an affected .story file. If that works for you, you can upload that file privately with this upload link. We'll delete it after a thorough look!
Chris Curry

For reasons we have for the time being, we are currently on SL version 3.16. We have a dev that is updated to SL version 3.32. When a file is saved in version 3.32, I can still open it in version 3.16. However, we have found that files created from version 3.33 (trigger wizard update) that we cannot open in 3.16, but can in 3.32. It says some features are not available and to open in the new version.

Is there a way we can save the 3.33 version files in a backwards compatible way?

Leslie McKerchie

Hi Chris,

Thanks for reaching out and sharing what you are running into. I've not seen this reported, but I'd like to understand the issue a bit better. 

I'm curious if you save using the classic workflow, does this allow you to open the course as expected? 

Here’s how to switch back and forth between the new and classic workflows.

1. Go to the File tab on the Storyline ribbon and choose Storyline Options.
  2. Select the Features tab on the left side of the window.
  3. Turn the new trigger workflow on or off by checking or unchecking the box.
  4. Click OK.
  5. Restart Storyline.
Chris Curry

Hey Leslie,

I did a lot of experimenting (one being what you suggested above) and came to the conclusion that is has to deal with how Storyline v3.33 handles images that are imported into the program. 

I was able to open a file made in v3.16 with Storyline v3.33, then copy over images previously imported into the file that was created in v3.16 back over in storyline v3.32 (save the file) then re-open that file in my SL v3.16. However, images that were imported into a storyline file made with v3.33 can be copied over into SL v3.32 (saved as a different file), but then cannot be opened by v3.16.

I can copy text over across all three versions no problem. I've not exclusively tested if audio files have the same issue since I was able to discover that the problem was there with just the images. So the audio files may also have similar issues.

TL;DR - Images imported into a file made in v3.33 (or higher I'm guessing) are encoded differently somehow and causes SL v3.16 to ask you to update to open the file. Somehow though, v3.32 can open v3.33 files without issues, and images imported directly into v3.32 can be opened in v3.16.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.