New in Storyline 360: Publish to video and the course completion trigger

Feb 20, 2018

Hello, everyone!

I’m excited to share two new features in Storyline 360 that I think you’ll love:

• Publish to video: This is a feature that a lot of folks have asked for, and we’re thrilled to announce it today! You can now publish your Storyline 360 project as a single MP4 file to use in another project or upload to a video hosting site, such as YouTube.
  • Course completion trigger: Get more precise control over when your course is marked as complete. The course completion trigger sends a completion status update to your LMS when learners perform a specific action or reach a certain point on the timeline.

Check out our What’s New page for video demos of these new features, as well as a look at what’s new in Rise.

46 Replies
Jackie Waskewicz

I've only been playing around with adding one completion trigger to my courses that have no quiz. My question is for branched courses, can I add multiple completion triggers at different points? Say one on path A, one on path B and one on path C? A learner would only take one path and we would want to track that they completed which every path chosen.

Wendy Farmer

Hi Jackie

see if the attached rough sample helps. I created 3 variables one for each branch and added an exit button onto each branch slide.  

In the exit button I added the trigger to complete the course if any of the variables are = True.

I tested in Scormcloud and it appears to work as expected.  The user can select any branch and on clicking the EXIT button of that branch the course is marked complete.

Hope this helps

Jamie Wenzel

I include video backgrounds in most of my slides, and publishing to video is taking way too long.  It seems to be spending a lot of time encoding the video.  Is there a certain codec (video file setting) that I can use before adding it to SL360 that might help speed up the encoding process that it is doing while publishing?

Leslie McKerchie

Hello Jamie and welcome to E-Learning Heroes :)

Sorry to hear that you ran into an issue with this.

I know we previously had a report of publishing to a video file failing if there were step-by-step slides in the project.

This was corrected in a recent update though as you can read about here

Another user shared a similar issue if you were using Dropbox, which you can read about here.

If you need us to take a look, you are welcome to share your .story file.

Jamie Wenzel

Hi Leslie.  Thank You!  I have updated my version of Storyline 360, and I continue to have issues with publishing time.  My current publishing has been running for 4 hours, which is really excessive.  I have published similar content in Captivate and never experienced anything beyond 30 minutes.  I am publishing to my desktop, and the hold up seems to be in the encoding process.  I use video as my background to most slides, and it is taking about 20 minutes per slide to encode the short 10 -15 sec videos.  I wouldn't mind sharing, but I cannot share to the general public.  Is what I am trying to do just too difficult for Storyline?  I have probably about 30 slides all with video backgrounds in HD.    

E-Learning Rosenbauer

I also tried to export one module with about 32 slides. On each slide is just one video and one object with an animation. After this animation the video starts and after the video is finished it jumps to the next slide.

After several hours I started to create the project in Adobe Premiere and After Effects and I finished up, including rendering, before Storyline video export was finished. I stopped the publishing then.

Pretty useless at this time. Luckily I rarely need it.

(Worked locally and with latest version of SL360.)

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Christoph, 

We found an issue where a project with more than 32 audio clips won't publish to video. Our team is looking into a fix for this issue, and I'll let you know here as soon as that's ready. In the meantime, there are a few suggestions on how to publish to Video:

• If there are multiple audio tracks on the same slide, you might be able to combine them into a single audio track using the built-in audio editor. 

• If you used mouse cursor objects in step-by-step screen recordings, turn off the click sounds for cursor objects. Each click sound counts as an audio clip. 

• Consider splitting the project into smaller modules and publishing a series of videos. 

Let me know if you need anything else! 

Darren McNeill

Is there a best practice for the Complete Course trigger?

I have assigned a button on the last slide to Complete Course and also the same button is set to Exit the Course.

Our LMS ( Cornerstone on Demand) is not recognizing the Complete trigger.

I am wondering if the trigger needs to be dedicated on its own to a button and cannot be used with other triggers on the same button?

The Publish settings are set to "Track using complete course trigger".

Crystal Horn

Hey everyone. I'm excited to let you know that we just released update 19 for Storyline 360! It includes new features and fixes - check them all out here.

One of the fixes addresses an issue where publishing to video was taking longer than normal to complete and would intermittently crash in the process.

Here’s how you can update Storyline 360 to take advantage of everything the latest release has to offer. Let me know how you make out!

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.