NEW IN STORYLINE 360: Review and Retry Incorrect Questions

Dec 18, 2018

Last week we announced an exciting new batch of features for Articulate 360. And today we released one of those new features for Storyline 360: review and retry incorrect questions.

Now you can challenge learners to review and retry only the questions in your quizzes that they got wrong. That way, they don’t have to revisit the questions they get right.

Here’s a quick example of this feature in action:

To learn more, check out this tutorial. We hope you love how this new feature helps your learners improve their knowledge.

Enjoy!

53 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Karen, 

Storyline will send the data outlined here to your Learning Management System (LMS), so if learners answered incorrectly on their first attempt through that will be passed as well. 

For any retries of the quiz, that new data should also be sent to your LMS. I'd suggest touching base with your LMS admin to confirm if you'll be able to see multiple instances or if data is overwritten based on the attempt. 

Dearne Willing

Hi Ashley

Can you share which Reporting and Tracking Options to use with the LMS Reporting: Report status to LMS as: (e.g. passed/failed, incomplete/complete etc.) 

Would you also recommend using 2004 (4th edition)?

I have just tested this in Canvas LMS and found the student could view their results in the SCORM item (print results which shows as a html page), however; in teacher view when going to the Gradebook there was no option to view student results per the details here.

Thanks

Dearne

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Dearne!

We recommend choosing Passed/Incomplete or Passed/Failed. These options are most likely to record both completion and success statuses in your LMS. (You might see an Unknown success status in your LMS until learners complete the course, then the status usually changes to Passed/Failed.) You can read more about how to report completion and success status to your LMS in this article.

And yes, SCORM 2004 is more robust than earlier LMS standards. It reports two status values, so it’s easier for LMSs to determine the completion and success statuses.

Since you're not seeing learner quiz data in Canvas LMS, I would test the output in SCORM Cloud to compare how it reports quiz data there. 

We can help you with that testing, if you'd like! Simply share you file here, and we'll do the rest.

eLearning Development

I am so excited about this feature.  It came at a perfect time.  I need to do a mandatory review next year that includes ton of material and this will allow an ANKI like repetition where they can repeat the review until they have answered all questions correctly and skip over the material they know well and have answered correctly.

Thank you again.

Sonja Gudgel

I am having an issue where the first question is repeated even if the user gets the question correct. I have reset results set to reset only incorrect questions. I have the results slide hidden because this is a part of a card sort activity. If a user gets a card wrong, it is basically "shuffled" back in the deck and the user has to do it again.

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Sonja,

Thanks for sharing your file here with us! I've been testing it backward and forwards, and although I found a few things that needed tweaking your file is still not behaving as expected. The first card continues to show even when I answered it correctly as you noted.

Here are the things I fixed so far:

• The retry button was there but had no triggers associated with it per the directions here. I added that to only show on Failure layer to ensure that it was being set
  • I made a trigger to show the failure layer, based on the learners' score and set the "Jump to slide" on that layer. This was done to ensure the reset results was executing correctly.
  • I tried moving the first question later into the quiz, and the new first question still showed upon a retry even if it was answered correctly.

I also tested this on a brand new file, and everything was working correctly there, so I'm opening a Support case with our team to take a look. They'll be in touch soon, and I attached your file which I modified in case you'd like to take a look in the meantime. 

Sandy Henderson

I'm also running into the same issue where the first question is repeated even if the learner answers it correctly on the first pass. On the Retry button, I've set the first trigger to reset the quiz results, with the box checked for "Reset only incorrect questions;" then I added a second trigger to jump to the first quiz question. I also tried setting the second trigger to jump to the slide before the first question, but I'm still forced to revisit the first quiz question.

Will the response from Sonja's support case be posted here or should I submit a separate support case? Thanks for your help.

Crystal Horn

Hi there, Sandy.  It looks like Sonja's file might have had a corrupted element in it.  When we imported the slides into a new file, it did the trick for us.  I'll let Sonja confirm if our new version works for her.

Since that is a pretty specific problem, I'd agree with you that getting into a case is a great idea.  You can reach our team here!

Kellie Mitchell

Hi,

I'm having issues with getting my drag and drop to score in the quiz. The correct response comes up when all correct items are dropped on the correct drop target but when reviewing the quiz it comes up as incorrect and I don't believe the results page is seeing it as correct. Can you or someone else on the staff help?