New in Storyline 360: Text to speech, object editing improvements, and more

Nov 14, 2017

Hello, everyone!

We’re so excited to share all the great new features in Storyline 360! Here’s what’s new:

• Text to speech: Speed course development by converting text to speech right in Storyline 360. You can choose the voice and language, so every word sounds perfect.
  • Text-to-speech closed captions: Let the app do all the work for you to generate closed captions that are automatically synced with text-to-speech narration.
  • Object editing enhancements: Size and position objects with pixel-perfect precision. Workflow improvements make it easier than ever to format objects on your slide.
  • Fine-tune motion paths: Create perfect motion paths easily with new features that give you more control over how objects move around your slides.
  • Random numbers variable: Use the random numbers variable to easily build math problems, present learners with randomly selected content, and add gaming elements to your courses.

Check out our What’s New page to learn more about these features, and what’s new in Rise and Content Library.

81 Replies
Mary Lacroix

I just finished a huge project where I had to generate text to speech in Captivate, export the audio file, import it to the appropriate Storyline slide, add cues to the timeline, copy and paste the script into triggers that synced with these cues, and play it back a couple of times to tweak.

Then I updated Storyline today and found this!

The new text to speech and revised closed captions are going to make projects like the one I just finished so much easier in the future. After seeing a demo of the new version of CC at the roadshow this summer, I'd say this update was about 90% of what I had hoped it would be. The selection of voices is great, and I cannot believe how freakin' easy it is to create closed captions right from TTS.

(What would bring my rating to 100%? The voices are very good, but I think the ones from NeoSpeech are a little better. Letting us add SSML tags would help a lot. And I'd love to see a little more control over the formatting, placement and appearance of CC in the slide. I appreciate that I can globally change the font size of all text elements in the player, including CC, but this makes some of the other player text elements look a little over-sized for the space.)

But even with these caveats, I'd like to applaud the team who made this possible. This is a great update.

Tex Hale

I am loving the new additions to 360 and so do my clients.  However, they are asking questions that I'm not sure how to answer.  For example, if the course (including all text and narration) is in English, is it possible to add the closed captions in another language?

Also is it possible to add closed captions in another language to a video that is in English?

When I tested the text to speech and selected the language (say French) everything appeared in French, even the closed captions.

Am I being a little dense?  Thanks in advance for your reply.

Linda Miller

Did the update to check out the text to speech voices, and a funny thing happened with the content library. When I go to insert an icon, it switches and only gives me the photo option.  When I select "icon" from the dropdown, it goes to photo. No matter how many times I try to select "icon," I cannot get the option.

Is this glitch related to the update?

Tracy Carroll

I'm loving the new text-to-speech feature! It's already saving me a lot of time, because I used to have to record scratch audio to demo early versions of modules for clients, but now I can just use this automatic feature. It's really the only thing I've ever missed when I switched from Captivate to Storyline, and now Storyline has it! Hooray!

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.