New Storyline 360 Features: team slides and closed captions editor

Aug 29, 2017

Hi everyone,

We’ve just added some exciting new features to Articulate Storyline 360 and I wanted to share the highlights with you.

Team slides: Sharing Storyline 360 projects with other Articulate 360 Teams users just got a whole lot easier with team slides. Team slides let you upload project templates, share slides or scenes that need to be in every course, and give everyone access to reusable slide content, right from within Storyline 360. Check out Arlyn’s video for all the details.

New closed captions editor: Now you can create and edit closed captions right in Storyline 360. The new closed captions editor makes it quick and easy to adjust imported captions or add new ones with the help of caption placeholders that are already synced with your audio or video content.

Enjoying being in-the-know? Learn more about what’s new and upcoming for Articulate 360 by checking out our What’s New, What’s Next page.

24 Replies
Trina Rimmer

Hi there. Sorry you've run into some snags with the new closed captions editor. Have you had a chance to review this how-to doc on the closed caption feature? There might be some tips in there that can help. If you're still not able to get things working, please open up a support case with us so we can take a closer look at your project file.

Robin Nystrom

I'm glad to see that you're making progress with the captioning functionality, but it doesn't go far enough (yet). I'd like to be able to have the captioning not intrude on the active content window (currently it takes up sometimes crucial 'real estate'), have it not be that stodgy white on black only option (which just doesn't work for some customers' color palettes), and have it be tied into the text in notes so you can divvy it up more efficiently. 

Neil Lauinger

Love it, makes it easy to add in closed captioning. Concur with Robin that it does take crucial 'real estate' which will cause me to have to go back and reformat content as it gets covered up with the captioning. I develop training for multiple languages so it would be really nice if you had the capability of adding closed captioning for more than one language in a course.  I also noticed it didn't work with embedded videos that are hosted somewhere on the web.  It would still be nice if we could create closed captioning for those videos... couldn't add closed captioning to to videos externally hosted.

Knut Jackowski

Hi Robin,

If you need the captions in other colors, you might try to change it by editing the CSS of the published course.

I currently use this CSS to change the captions of our courses to be black on a slightly transparent yellow:

.caption p {
background: rgba(236,212,76,0.7);
color: black;
text-shadow: none; /* The captions usually have a shadow, that looks wierd with a darker text colour */
}

It's not the most comfortable way I can imagine for this (adding the code and rezipping can get tedious) and I also hope that styling will become a part of the caption functionality, but so far it works for HTML5 courses.

Leslie McKerchie

Hello Natalia!

Sorry to hear that you've run into an issue with special characters in your closed captions.

This is an issue we have reported to our team specific to the Flash output. Your users should not experience an issue when viewing the HTML5 output.

I will add this thread to our report as we track user impact and it will allow us to update here when we can as well.

Leslie McKerchie

Hey Natalia :)

Great news! We just released another update for Articulate 360, and included a few important fixes and new features that you'll see in the release notes here

The Storyline 360 item you'll be interested in is how:

Special characters, such as accented letters and apostrophes, weren't displaying correctly in closed captions in Flash output.

Just launch the Articulate 360 desktop app on your computer and click the Update button for each application. Details here.

Please let us know if you have any questions, either right here or by reaching out to our Support Engineers directly.

Tacettin Köprülü

Hello, I have problems with the new version released yesterday. Whatever was working with the previous version is broken now.

- Seekbar drag is not working any more for HTML5 output, Flash working.

- Slide transitions for quiz questions (uncover) not working for HTML5.

- Interaction with LMS broken (lesson status not being passed anymore for Flash and HTML5)

How can I go back to previous version of Storyline 360? This new version is completely useless!

Thank you.

Lauren Parker

I agree with Soren. I don't want to have a giant font in the player just to have more legible font in the closed captioning. We have people who are deaf and slightly vision impaired who need larger font in the captions. For everyone else not using captions, the player font looks ridiculously large. And even with ridiculously large fonts in the player, it doesn't seem to reflect in the size of the font in closed captioning... it's still small!

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Elizabeth!

Are you a part of an Articulate 360 Teams subscription? If so, you may be logged in using an email address that is not associated with your subscription. 

From here, log out of 360.articulate.com, and log out of the desktop app. Then, log back in to both of those using the email address that is associated with your Teams subscription.

Then you should see the Teams Slides option. Let me know if that helps! 

Tammy Knoll-Anderson

Hi Articulate Team,

I'm working with a team which has developed about 20 Rise courses. It's a software company so there are (and always will be) regular system updates requiring the ISD team to revise the courses accordingly.  Many of these courses have content overlap for instance to introduce a specific feature or function for a different course. 

We're looking for a strategy to single source content so that one ISD can update any reusable content which can be shared by others on the team. This will make us more efficient as well as keep a standard predicatable style (look and feel as well as voice).

It sounds like you have done that already for Storyline, maybe not for Rise??? I know Rise has a templates feature which I use to ensure I'm following style standards, but it's limited to my individual Rise account so it's not a good strategy for sharing chunks of content.

Is there anything on the horizon to allow us to do the same for Rise as what's now available for Storyline?

Thanks!

Tammy

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.