Nov 22, 2015

Hi,

I am trying to create my first piece of work in storyline 1 for a community mental health team . It's going to be a simple introduction to new nurse students, maybe 10 slides to start with, intro to the team including model of care, what we do, what to expect the experience to be like and what the expectations of students are, etc. Can anybody suggest a good way to start ? I need to keep things straight forward, I was hoping to try out using changing states and layers.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks, 

Dave      

23 Replies
Mark Kirby

Hi Dave

I just found examples of stuff that I liked and copied/replicated the tutorials. Very soon the project had some structure. So you could start with a meet the team slide (and search for examples of this on the forum) and go from there? I found each Storyline technique took an investment to first replicate it, then decide how exactly to use it for the project.

Jason Reed

Hi Dave,

This is quite a broad question. There's a lot of things you could consider or try, but for me the most value comes from keeping it simple and concise. Just say what you need to say and try to avoid overcrowding any slides or layers.

Using states and layers would be a great first step into building, but I would try and build in interactivity only where it will add value.

In terms of first steps, I'd plan out your project on storyboards of some description so you know what you're building before you start.

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Dave,

You  have a few options - you could look at embedding it as a web object as detailed here.  Or you could link to a URL or a file as described here.   For both of these you'll need to test within the intended publish environment as testing it in preview or within the local publish output could cause you to encounter security restrictions such as described here. 

Hope that helps! 

Dave Baker

Hi All,

Please can anyone advise me on

1. When I add a layer slide I want the next and previous buttons at the bottom to take me back to the base layer. Is this possible ?  because I don't seem to be able to attach a trigger to make this happen.   

2. Would anyone have examples of solid Articulate Storyline 1 projects which have been created by beginners so I can assess my progress as a beginner. I don't wish to overstretch my capabilities but I want to be able to use the basics I have learnt like slides, layers, triggers in the most aesthetically pleasing way possible.

Thank You,

Dave

Wendy Farmer

Hi Dave

For Q1. on the slide layer add a trigger, 'hide layer' this layer when something happens like the user clicks a close button or the timeline ends. That will redisplay the base layer.

For Q2. you can check out the elearning examples pages and elearning challenges that might give you an idea. They won't all be in SL1 but you get the idea.

And feel free to upload your story file here using the 'Add Attachment' button in the post for people to give you feedback and also upload it into the Building Better Courses forum as well.

Welcome to Storyline and the eLearning Heroes forum!

Wendy Farmer

Hi Dave

you can attach a PDF via the resource tab (see tutorial link below), or by using a button/ hyperink to trigger the PDF but you are still going outside SL to view it.

To answer your question YES you use the same trigger 'jump to file/url' to attach to a button/hyperlink.

If inclined you could put the pdf as an image into a scrolling panel.

See sample here

Here is a tutorial

Christie Pollick
Christie Pollick

Hi, Dave -- Thanks so much for reaching out, and glad to hear you are at the publish point! In order to do so, you will need to use the steps here for Publishing a Course for LMS, and you will see within the instructions that once publishing is complete, you will need to zip the module for upload.

Click "Zip" from the choices above: This creates a zipped file of the published output in the location you specified on the Publish window. This is the most common choice when you're using an LMS. Upload the zipped course to your LMS.

Then, you will be all set to upload to your LMS (and as all LMS provider are a bit different, please contact your LMS for directions for their particular upload procedure, if necessary).  

And to answer your second question, if you want or need to make any edits, you will need to go back to your .story file, make the changes, save, republish, zip, and reload your course each time. Hope that helps, and please let us know if you have any difficulties! 

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Dave,

I'm not familiar with that LMS, but you'll want to use the LMS publish option and confirm with your team if you need a particular LMS output (SCORM 1.2, 2004, AICC, etc.). 

Once you've published you'll likely zip the published output and upload the entire contents of the zipped folder to your LMS. If you run into any difficulty you may also want to look at troubleshooting your course by using the SCORM Cloud and this article as it's an industry standard for testing LMS content. 

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.