Next button

Aug 24, 2020

Hello, I am a new articulate user and I am creating a training that has me stuck. From a sub-menu that has 4 placeholders, I have disabled my next button until all placeholders have been visited. I have added another trigger to change the state of the next button to normal but my button is still not working. Please help. Anyone.

3 Replies
Walt Hamilton

Melissa,

I assume the problem is on Slide 1.5 navigation. if that's not the one that concerns you, it still might have problems. You have solved a number of problems with the way you are hand;ing changing the states to indicate that the layers ae visited, but this trigger may be a problem:

All the built-in states, like Hover, Selected, Visited, etc. have built-in triggers to work their magic when they are clicked. If you create a trigger to do that function (change state to visited, whether the item is clicked or not), you run a huge risk of causing conflicts with the built-in trigger, and the results can be unpredictable. You have a good idea, and you should keep it, but you should change the name of the state to something like "Completed" to avoid conflicts.

If 1.16 is your problem slide, the same problem holds, but is more likely to cause problems, because these objects are clicked.

The problem with the Next button is that this trigger seems like a great idea, but is not reliable. It works well for visiting layers on the same slide, or clicking on objects on this same slide. It really gets flakey when you visit other slides, and even worse if you visit other scenes.

For best, absolute , can't - fail reliability, you need to use variables. For each of the four placeholders, create a T/F variable (Like Variation1Complete, etc.) defaulting to False. At the end of each scene, attach a trigger to the next button that changes the variable to True. This indicates that each scene has been not just started, but completed. Caveat: You must place the trigger to change the variable above the trigger to jump back to the menu (1.16), because if it jumps first, it never changes the variable.

Then, add this trigger to slide 1.16:

Notice that I used a convenient set of variables you have already created, because i was too lazy to create the Variation1Complete ones.

Then to ensure that the timeline starts every time you return from one of the sub-scenes, you need to set the slide properties of 1.16 to Reset to initial values on Revisit.

Which raises another problem: you lose the visited state of the placeholders. I solve that by changing the Visited state to "Completed", then setting each place holder to Completed state if its variable is True.

any questions, ask.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.