Next Button not Advancing

Mar 25, 2021

I have a course that has a few slides with layers on them. The layers are activated by triggers--the user has to click on an object to activate the layer. The layer contains auxiliary information that not all users need, so not all users will click on the object to view the layer. I have to have the slides advance only when the user clicks the right or next arrow, not automatically. Also, I have to restrict the course so that you can only advance to the next slide after viewing the current one. On the slides that have layers, if the user does not click on the layer, when the time line finishes for that slide, the next or right arrow does not activate to allow the user to advance to the next slide. I figured out you actually have to hit the replay button and then the arrow activates as soon as you do that, but I don't want to have to give instructions to the users to do that. Is there a way to fix this?

Thanks for your help!

4 Replies
Walt Hamilton

Not being able to see your project, I have very little idea. But, you did say:

On the slides that have layers, if the user does not click on the layer, when the time line finishes for that slide, the next or right arrow does not activate to allow the user to advance to the next slide.

which makes me think there is something about the (last) layer showing that may be keeping the arrow from activating (for example, something on the layer covers it).  If that's the case, hiding the layer when its timeline ends may solve it. Or, there may be some sort of trigger that disables the arrow until the layer closes.

Ron Goode

Thank you for getting back to me. I have on my layers triggers to hide the previous and next arrows when the time starts and to return them to normal when it ends. This was so that users wouldn't click on the next arrow thinking it would take them to the next layer as this takes them to the next slide. I use layers as hyperlinks for additional information for users, so having them select the next arrow while on a layer could confuse them and cause them not to encounter all of the information on a slide. I have since disabled the triggers that were hiding and then making normal, the next arrows and this solved the problem. Since the right arrows won't activate until the timeline ends on the slide, even though the user can see the next or right arrow on a layer, when they click on it, they don't go anywhere. I did keep the previous arrows hidden on the layers so they wouldn't accidently go to the previous slide from a layer by clicking on the left arrow. It seems to working just fine now. Thank you for your help!