Open a SL360 course that was backed up in Google Drive. Which file do I open into SL360

May 07, 2020

Due to a migration, I uploaded all of my SL360 files into Google Drive.  Now I want to open the file into Storyline 360 on my new laptop.  I have downloaded the zip file into my C drive.  When I try to open the zip file in SL360 it says this file is invalid or corrupt.  The course was created in Storyline 360 and I'm trying to open the zip in Storyline 360.  Should I be opening another one of the files instead of the zip?

5 Replies
Susan Maciaszek

Hi team, I need your help!  I have backed up my laptop with all of my files about a year ago.  What I have backed up for Articulate 360 is what looks like the zip file or SCORM files.  Can I use any of those files to open the course back up into Storyline 360.  Would appreciate any help you can provide, I'm desperate:(

Ren Gomez

Hi Susan,

I'm sorry to hear you're running into this! If you do not have access to the actual .story file, that contains all of your course content, there's no way to modify that content in that particular project again. 

The published files are only for viewing or uploading to a server for distribution. Since this wasn't a recent file this may not be applicable, but for future reference, you can try checking your temporary files for a copy. Here's how to check: 

1. Open this folder in Windows Explorer:  %appdata%\Articulate\Storyline 
  2. Scan the contents of this folder for a file that starts with the name of your project. If you find one, copy it to your desktop. If you find more than one, copy the latest version to your desktop. 
  3. Change the file extension of the copy on your desktop from *.tmp to *.story. 
  4. Double-click the file to open it in Storyline. 

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.