Order of scenes

Nov 18, 2013

Hi

Help please.

I am having an issue with the order of scenes in Storyline. The order was working fine until I added a new scene for a set of lightbox slides. I have a total of 13 scenes at the moment - scene 12 has lightbox slides linked to scene 2 and scene 13 has lightbox slides linked to scene 5. All slide triggers are for the next slide.

After I added scene 13, the order has changed and scene 5 is now displayed between scenes 1 & 2. I tried to reorder by cutting and pasting scene 5 but does not seem to work. Once I select scene 5 and click Ctrl X, it moves the order of scene 5 between 4 & 6 even before I click Ctrl V. If I then click Ctrl V, it brings scene 5 back to where it was between 1 & 2. Same behaviour even if I right click and select Cut & Paste. It also delinks the lightbox slides from scene 5 when I click Ctrl X.

Am I doing something wrong? Screenshots attached. I have not uploaded the story file due to the file size.

Appreciate any help.

Thanks

Sampath

10 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Sampath,

Thanks for sharing the images here with us. When you have the scene moved around, do all the triggers still operate as you'd expect or is it jumping you to the next wrong scene? When you click CTRL X and Scene 5 appears inbetween Scene 4 and 6 (where I suspect you would like it) are you unable to relink to the lightbox slides? If not, it may be best to share the .story file with us here which is a private link and would allow for larger file uploads. 

Sampath Sundar

Hi Ashley

Just checked the triggers - with the scene moved around (in the incorrect order), the presentation jumps from Scene 1 to Scene 5 and no other triggers seem to work. When I tried to cut Scene 5 and paste it after Scene 4, it pasted it back where it was between Scenes 1 & 2. I tried pasting it at a different location (after Scene 6) and this time it jumbled up all the scenes at random! Scene 6 moved between 1 & 2 etc. I think it is best if I uploaded the story file. Last time I had an issue, it was an additional trigger on one slide and I would never have found it. Best to leave it to the experts.

Thanks

Sampath.

Sampath Sundar

Hi Ashley

I can now retrace what brought about the reordering of scenes:

1) I initially has lightbox slides in Scene 12 that were linked to slides in Scene 2.

2) I then added lightbox slides linked to Scene 5 in Scene 12.

3) I then created a new Scene (Scene 13) and moved the lightbox slides for Scene 5 to this new scene and relinked the Scene 5 slides to Scene 13.

4) It is after this that the Scene 5 moved in front of Scene2.

I have now uploaded the story file and added the link to this thread as well.

Kind Regards

Sampath

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Sampath,

I looked at your case today, and saw you shared the following which I wanted to include here for anyone else following along;

I seem to have stumbled on a solution - I copied 2 slides with links to the light box scene from Scene 5 to Scene 2 (we intended to do this anyway). The Scenes rearranged in the correct order as soon as I did this! All the triggers between scenes are working as they did before the order changed. (Also, the scene order was correct until all light box slides were within one scene.) Wondering whether cutting and pasting light box slides into a new scene caused the confusion. Seems to be fixed anyway. Fingers crossed.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.