Over 100 percent

Jul 29, 2014

Hi I've had reports back that some of the course users are getting more than 100% in their scores. One with 128.57%..... and another with 114%

I'm using two standard quiz questions plus five radomised bank questions (3 questions per bank)

Can anyone give me some pointers as to why the percentages are exceeding 100

59 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Noreen,

Are these users seeing the score above 100% on the results slide of the Storyline course or displayed within the LMS? If it's the latter, it may be that the user is revisiting questions or the quiz and reanswering the questions and changing the score within the LMS...have you tried testing it at SCORM Cloud, which is an industry standard for testing SCORM content? Also, did you check in with these users about anything unique they may have done - or what steps they went through to see this behavior?

Antonio A

Hi everyone! Any update about the issue above? I have 6 quizzes everyone with it's own slide results and in the last slide of the course I have a result slide ("Graded Result Slide") just to show the overall score (average of all individual quizzes together: for this last one i just selected all the questions in the course that appear when clicking in "EDIT RESULT SLIDE"). The problem is that when taking all kisses and passing all the score in the final results slide is over 100%. I need to solve that by tonight, because i am in a project and now everything is polish but that.

If anyone with experience in slide result could give advice it will be highly  appreciated

Thanks for any help

Antonio A

Hi Ashley,

Thanks a lot for your answer. I see, now I have chosen all "Results Slides" in the the course.

There are 6 results slides (one for each quiz) plus the final one just to show the average of this 6  "result slides". When i take the quiz the scores i got are as follow...

Quiz1: 100%

Quiz2: 100%

Quiz3: 100%

Quiz4: 66.66%

Quiz5: 100%

Quiz6: 100%

Score in the Final Result Slide= 92.85%. But I notice this score is calculated taking in considerations number of questions (14) not number of quizzes (6). Below is how i guess the FINAL SCORE is being calculated by storyline:

Results:

Quiz1:100% (3 answers right out of 3)
Quiz2: 100% (2 answers right out of 2)
Quiz3: 100% (2 answers right out of 2)
Quiz4: 66.66% (2 answers right out of 3)
Quiz5: 100% (2 answers right out of 2)
Quiz6: 100% (2 answers right out of 2)

92.85% in the FINAL SCORE in the final "Result slide" in the course. This % is being calculated by storyline as follows: I got 13 questions right out of 14. Which is 92.85%

Is there a way to calculate the final score out of number of quizzes in the course and not out of number of questions, the score calculated that way would be: 94.4%

Thanks for any help,

Antonio

Hi Antonio,

The results slide that is tracking more than one results slide can be set to combine the scores from the individual results slides as described here:

• Combine points from each quiz: Select this option if you want the scores from all tracked result slides to be added together as the final score for the course, then enter a percentage in the Passing Score field. In this scenario, a learner could fail one or more of the individual quizzes and still pass the overall course.

Or, you could set the option that they have to pass each quiz to pass the course - and based on your set up of only 3 questions per quiz, that may be what you'd want to use as this seems to better match your needs:

• User must pass each quiz: Select this option if learners must pass each individual quiz (represented by the tracked result slides) in order to pass the overall course (represented by the final result slide). If learners fail any quiz in the course, then they fail the entire course. 

There isn't a way to change this behavior of what is tracked and reported to a combined results slide. 

Hi Antonio, 

Great question - when you select "user must pass each quiz" you'll see that the passing score for that results slide is greyed out - so it's based on the pass scores on each of your other results slides. I haven't gone through a set up to see what total score that reports out on, as you'll see no results variables on the final results slide than - so I'm not certain what is sent to your LMS. If you have a file handy, that should be easy enough to make the change and test loading it up to SCORM Cloud or another LMS testing platform to see how it behaves. 

Antonio A

Hi Ashley,

Sorry i didn't answer your question in your last email, I have the file but it's the final course for a client so i can not share it.

After taking the quizzes twice i do not think there is  any difference in the score if it is set as "User must pass each quiz" or as "Combine points from each quiz"

There are 6 results slides (one for each quiz) plus the final one just to show the average of this 6  "result slides". When i take the quizzes the scores i got are as follow...

Quiz1: 100%

Quiz2: 100%

Quiz3: 100%

Quiz4: 66.66%

Quiz5: 100%

Quiz6: 100%

Score in the Final Result Slide= 92.85%. But I notice this score is calculated taking in considerations number of questions (14) not number of quizzes (6).

Results:

Quiz1:100% (3 answers right out of 3)
Quiz2: 100% (2 answers right out of 2)
Quiz3: 100% (2 answers right out of 2)
Quiz4: 66.66% (2 answers right out of 3)
Quiz5: 100% (2 answers right out of 2)
Quiz6: 100% (2 answers right out of 2)

92.85% in the FINAL SCORE in the final "Result slide" in the course. This % is being calculated by storyline as follows: I got 13 questions right out of 14. Which is 92.85%

I think both settings in the Final results slide...

1. "User must pass each quiz"

2. "Combine points from each quiz"

ARE SCORING IN THE SAME WAY. I imagine the difference could be  that in 1 if the user does't pass one or more quizzes, then the final result slide will be showing that in some way.

I can not test that as my course is setup in a way in which the students need to pass each quiz in order to keep going in the course, if not the can take it again.

Thanks,

Antonio

Hi Antonio, 

You're seeing the score within your LMS - as when using the "user must pass each quiz" as an option, there is no score on the final results slide - and if you look at the triggers it's shown as the Results.Passed variable being equal to True or False - not a score option. 

If you need to see an actual score, I would use the option to combine points from each quiz, and allow the course set up (assuming with triggers/variables) to determine if the user is going to advance onto the next slide portion of the course. 

Noreen b

Hi

I am still having reports back that some learners are getting these high percentage results 270% is the highest so far. It's unfortunately something that I can't recreate in house or on the SCORM Cloud but distributing elearning for 70,000 users means that someone somewhere will have an issue. It's embarressing that I can't get to the bottom of this. I sent the one course into support and was told there was nothing wrong with the course and I've been trying to reassure my team that its not my course even when the score is displayed incorrectly on the results screen so there must be something somewhere in the course that its mis calculating the results. I would really like to get this resolved but don't know what else I can do.

Noreen b

There is one at the start of this tread plus see attached from this week (different course) I can no longer ask users to test using the SCORM Cloud as I only have access to the free version which only gives a limited number of uses and I used that up a long time ago :-( I'm really surprised there is no validation on the Articulate results screen that only allows the percentage score to display to a max of 100%

Noreen b

It was Case number 00422144 

The course that has recently been reported as having the same issue does not use question banks. Would it be worth investigating this one? Unfortunately only our users can replicate this issue and they can be based all over the country which makes things a little tricky. Plus when this issue is spotted in the course the LMS gives the user a completion status of failed - our LMS is not great at recording results and this is a separate issue. But if I can be sure that the course is passing the correct figure - preferable one under 100% then I will feel much better and know that I can leave the other issue with the LMS guys to sort.

Hi Noreen,

Yes, let's go ahead and start a brand new case since this course set up is a bit different. You can send it along here - and I don't believe we'll need the users email. 

Once you submit the case you should get an email with a case number, so please let me know that here so that I can let our team know about your previous case and the discussions we've had here in the forums. 

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.