Pause Button

Nov 04, 2013

Ok. This may be remedial. But is there a way to give a pause button on the navigation controls without using the seekbar?

I have audio prompting my slides through the course mostly. I want the student to be able to pause (if a phone rings or something) and come back. But if I add the seekbar, they can skip through the audio. We want the audio forced.

What am I overlooking?

17 Replies
Joe Dey

Hi Tony

Not sure if this solution will help you.  In my attached example there are two methods shown, both use the same principles but are used in slightly different ways depending on how much control you want the user to have. If there was something on the base layer that you wanted to have paused in addition to the music  - on the Pause layer[s] you should select 'Pause timeline of Base Layer.

Joe

Joe Dey

Hi Tony

I hope I haven't confused things here.  I should have slimmed down the slide to just the elements you wanted.  Here is a revised version showing just the salient points.  You need only create the slide once and then use it as a template for any slides that you want to use the pause function on.

Joe

Tony Ludwikowski

I found it after messing with the SDK and it was so simple I'm kicking myself.

Step 1 - Create your course and turn on seekbar.

Step 2 - Publish

Step 3 - Open My Articulate Projects\test output\story_content\frame.xml in your favorite text editor. (Notepad ++ here)

Step 4 - CTRL + F for  name="seekbar" enabled="true" and replace with  name="seekbar" enabled="false"

Seems counter intuitive but by doing that it turns on replay and pauseplay. 

This was with out-of-box settings. Now I have, along the bottom, a volume control, pause/play, some empty space and then my Prev/Next/Submit control. That and a big smile.

joshua simpson

Tony Ludwikowski said:

I found it after messing with the SDK and it was so simple I'm kicking myself.

Step 1 - Create your course and turn on seekbar.

Step 2 - Publish

Step 3 - Open My Articulate Projects\test output\story_content\frame.xml in your favorite text editor. (Notepad ++ here)

Step 4 - CTRL + F for  name="seekbar" enabled="true" and replace with  name="seekbar" enabled="false"

Seems counter intuitive but by doing that it turns on replay and pauseplay. 

This was with out-of-box settings. Now I have, along the bottom, a volume control, pause/play, some empty space and then my Prev/Next/Submit control. That and a big smile.

Thanks Tony! While somewhat tedious for larger courses, this is exactly what I was looking for. 

Jessica Calvin

Hello,

I have submitted a feature request but it would be REALLY helpful if we could have a pause button without a seek bar and without having to manually add one. I tried the option Tony suggested. I published my projected for LMS, edited the frame.xml file with Notepad, then zipped the file and uploaded to our LMS and the file wouldn't work. It wouldn't let me edit the frame.xml file from the LMS file that was already zipped. Am I doing something wrong? or is this not compatible for LMS. Also, any idea if this will be a feature enhancement in the future?

Christine Hendrickson

Hi Jessica,

I'll admit that I haven't tried Tony's suggestion, but it may help to extract and edit the files before you upload them. Then, zip it again and upload it to the LMS. If you still have trouble with that, it might be a good idea to try sending Tony a private message. His suggestion was posted quite some time ago and he may not be subscribed to the thread any longer.

Also, I wanted to thank you for sending in that feedback. The more information we get for a feature, the better. If you know others that would like this type of functionality, it might be a good idea to have them submit a request as well.

Best of luck with the project!

Leslie McKerchie

Hi Jennifer,

Christine certainly still exists and is still working with us here at Articulate, but in another role :)

To answer your question, if you're using the Classic Player in Storyline 360, the pause/play button is still a part of the seekbar. If you're using the Modern Player, you can add this button as a standalone. You can check out the documentation here.

Hope that helps :)

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.