Pick Many

Oct 05, 2019

Hi there,

I'm trying to create an activity where there are 8 boxes and users can click on as many as they want. Each box has a behavior sentence (example: I allow others to speak without interrupting) that users can select, so they click on anywhere from 0-8. There's no correct or wrong answer.

Once they're done selecting, I'd like them to click a 'submit' button which totals up the number of boxes they selected. This number then triggers a message box to appear.

I tried using the Pick Many option, and toyed around with the Count function, but neither seem t work the way I want. Can you think of a better way to do this? Thank you in advance for your help with this.

7 Replies
Wendy Farmer

Hi Lisa

I'd try using a Pick One - have a button that sits offstage - called it Correct and add a selected state to it. You may need two buttons to satisfy the form view of the slide - so create a dummy incorrect button.

When the user clicks submit, set a trigger to change the state of the Correct button to selected -  - make sure this trigger is above the 'submit interaction' trigger.

In the form view select the correct button as the correct answer

Hope that helps

Lisa Anderson

Hi Lisa!

You could also consider a drag and drop interaction.

In "Form View", set your drag and drop options to "snap dropped items to drop target" and then select "stack random" in the drop down menu, select "allow only one item in each drop target", and select "delay item drop states until interaction is submitted".

Then, in "slide view", insert your 8 drag boxes on the left of the screen, and insert 8 drop boxes on the left; maybe use a fun image as the back drop. Back to "form view", match drag box 1 to drop box 1 target, drag box 2 to drop box 2 target, etc. Back to slide view, format drop boxes to no fill, no line and format drag boxes any way you want. When the user drags a box to the drop zone, it will attach to the nearest drop box in the zone.

Since there is no wrong or right answer, customize your "correct layer" with a colored rectangle on the left, filling half the screen, and insert your feedback text. On the right, because of the drag and drop settings above, the boxes submitted will display on the right. Using the colored rectangle hides the boxes that weren't selected on the base layer. Make sure all boxes< drag and drop, in the base layer are checked on the correct layer, and deselect anything from the base layer you don't want. You could eliminate the incorrect layer, since it's not needed.

No triggers, no variables, no counting, unless you want to use fancy JavaScript to print and/or save selections.

Take a look at an example. Maybe it will inspire you!

Drag and Drop Let's Reflect

Cheers!

Lisa Anderson

Hi Again, Lisa!

I've had a second thought about your project. I completely omitted a possible solution to your request to have the feedback the user receives specific to the number of boxes they selected. Yes, it will require triggers, and a variable, but very do - able.

I still recommend a drag and drop interaction, with free drop zone, and using an image, like my post above. You would create customized feedback layers to reflect your 8 types of feedback; i.e. "you selected 1 box", will receive a feedback layer specific for 1 box, "you selected 2 boxes" will receive a feedback layer specific for 2 boxes, etc. 

I've attached a .story file to review. You would add a variable "countboxes" and each time a drag box is placed in the drop zone, aka the image, it will add 1 to the count. 

Anyway, take a look and see if this inspires. Maybe you could use a combination of the 2!

Cheers!

Wendy Farmer

Hi Lisa

Yes, there is always a few ways to do things in SL which is great...I took a quick look at your file and the setup is good but Lisa would have to add in a few more triggers in the event the user dragged a box to the drop target and then removed it again - see this Peek video

The other way to do it is to adjust the variables you have for the variable Countboxes by adding the 1.00 when the user clicks the submit button rather than when they drop the shape - that way SL is validating the final drops.  

So you would add a Drop Correct state to each of the rectangles and use that in the trigger

Hope that makes sense

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.