Player buttons

Dec 25, 2015

Hi. This may have emerged earlier, but I'd like to check if there is a solution.

I am building courses with custom navigation controls, i.e. without the Player. Everything works fine till the students get to the REVIEW stage. This is when all the PREV and NEXT buttons start showing despite being unchecked and disabled in the slide configuration dialog. Strangely, these buttons only reappear on quiz slides. There is also a red or green feedback bar blocking the custom buttons. This results in messy look and confuses students. These buttons are redundant because the custom buttons do the job anyway.

Is there a way to disable these Player buttons completely so that they do not suddenly appear during REVIEW stages and move the bars to another place on the slide?

One solution would be to reactivate the Player and stop using custom buttons, but the client rightfully wants original look for the courseware.

Thanks in advance

Example

12 Replies
Wendy Farmer

Hi Tim

by default if you set the inbuilt review function on the result slide SL automatically adds the back and next player buttons so the user can navigate through the quiz and the correct / incorrect feedback bands are also included. 

From memory there is a screencast that explains how to set up custom review - I'll see if I can find it and post for you.

in the meantime try using www.articusearch.com to help search relevant posts that may help you.

Tim A

Hi Wendy

Thanks very much for the advice. I have experimented with the options.

It looks like these buttons are added by default whenever a RESULTS SLIDE is involved, with or without the REVIEW option checked. This makes it even more difficult because if I remove the results slide, I break any meaningful connection with the Moodle SCORM, which does not really track by slides viewed, but by the scores submitted by the RESULTS SLIDE. I could set up custom review, but I also need to make sure it communicates the results to Moodle SCORM (which is a bit finicky at the moment.)

These buttons are a real unnecessary obstacle. After the students finished the lesson, they could still use the custom buttons. The default ones are not necessary. Also, on iPads, these buttons leave the boundaries of the Player and overlap with the slide content, which should not really happen - till I saw it myself, I did not think it was possible.

Overlap

Wendy Farmer

Hi Tim

this video might help you with removing the coloured banners - but the Prev/Next buttons are here to stay unfortunately. Although I know myself included lots of people have put in feature requests to have these editable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oh0BXT8wN24&feature=youtu.be

Not sure if you could use the SDK to customise the player and remove those buttons.

https://en-au.articulate.com/support/storyline-2/articulate-storyline-2-sdk

Tim A

Hi Wendy

Thanks very much for the links. I think I'll have a look at the SDK (it is Flash only) now and the video. Hopefully, Articulate will offer some more flexibility in Player options in the future. It is a great software, but some things need to improve. The Player does have some options in terms of text and colours, but more options for the review stage are just as important as the presentation parts to produce polished courseware.

Thanks for the links.

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Tim,

Sorry we missed you last week - we were off for the Christmas holiday, but it looks like Wendy had you covered! I did want to share that our team has documented the issue in regards to the previous/next buttons.

When learners review a quiz (or revisit question slides they've already submitted), they'll see Articulate Storyline's built-in Prev and Next buttons in the lower right corner of the player—even if you've disabled them throughout your course. These navigation buttons are necessary for learners to review quiz slides.

If you'd like to have an option to disable the Prev and Next buttons during quiz review so you can use your own custom navigation buttons, please let us know. We value your feedback. 

As for jumping out of the player and onto the slides itself that sounds like something we'd want to take a look at. Are you able to share a copy of your .story file here with us? Even just a few slides that exhibit this behavior would be helpful and you can post it here using the "Add Attachment" button. 

Tim A

Hello Ashley

I have had some response from the support team.

Based on what I see, the buttons jump onto the slide under the following combination of conditions:

1. HTML5 + SCORM + Moodle

2. default buttons are disabled and replaced with custom buttons

3. review stage

4. viewed on iPAD

I have been able to replicate the issue again and again with the same story file under these conditions. The Player failed to position its buttons in the right place.

Based on what the support team did, removing the custom buttons and enabling the default buttons, quite naturally resolved the issue. The player managed to maintain its boundaries on the same slide, which is a quite natural and logical outcome of reverting to navigation defaults.

This means that the only solution for this random glitch is to keep using the Player - back to where we started.

Solution 1:

I have filed a request for an option to disable PREV and NEXT buttons during REVIEW, and more polished button performance under HTML5+SCORM. So let's wait and see what happens.

In the meantime, I might be able to convince the client to use the Player to get ahead with this.

Solution 2:

Another solution might, perhaps, be adding more features to the Player in terms of styling. It does a good job with colours, but we still need more. One of the reasons I was asked to add a custom MENU button is because the default one is just too small. On iPad, it takes 5-6 taps to hit it, which is then followed by more hit-and-miss action when selecting the right slide on the menu list. However, once you make one change, you have to change everything and using the default player is no longer an option.

Thanks for your help.

Tim

Support

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.