Player triggers for 508-compliance?

Apr 17, 2018

Hi! I think the answer to my questions is probably "no," but I thought I'd ask.

• Is there a trigger available for changing auto-advance slides to user-advance if the learner selects something (e.g. a check box or button) that indicates advancing the slides themselves would be a better learning experience for them (e.g. because they use a screen reader)?
  • Given, say, multiple tabs in the sidebar, with Tab A (e.g. Menu) being the tab displayed by default, is there a trigger available for displaying Tab B (e.g. Transcript) by default instead if the learner selects a check box or button that indicates Tab B is something they'll need during the course?

Triggers like these would help us make our courses 508-compliant without disrupting the learning experience of regular learners. (If they don't exist, would these be good for a feature request, or am I the only one who thinks these would be useful?)

Thanks,

Lisa

4 Replies
Alyssa Gomez

Hi there Lisa! I really appreciate you sharing those ideas with us. While Storyline doesn't have any built-in triggers that would allow you to do what you're asking, you may be able to achieve something similar with some design creativity.

I'll leave it in the hands of the talented instructional designers in this community to share their ideas with you!

Trevor Peglowski

Lisa

Could you create a variable '508' and set it to a boolean, defaulting to false. Make a radio button that, when selected, turns this to true. Then, create two triggers in each slide, one that advances via clicking is '508' is false, one that does it automatically is '508' is true.

I know you can edit tab order, but I'm unsure how to do it based on variables... hopefully someone else can help :)

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.