Please help!

Oct 21, 2013

Hello all.  I have an issue that I need help with. 

I have a course set up that includes several slides with buttons that take the learners to specific layers. I currently have the slide properties (for each of these slides) set to "resume saved state" when revisiting...because, of course, I don't want the learners to have to wait for the slide to reload every time they are taken back to the slide to click on a different button.  Here is my dilemma:  If a learner clicks on all the buttons on one of these slides, and advances to the next slide, then clicks the Previous button to go back, they are only allowed to click on one of the buttons on the slide, and the slide automatically advances again.  Is there something I can do to correct this, so that if a learner goes back to revisit a slide (with buttons and layers) that they have already visited, they are able to re-click on all the buttons and view all slide layers again, before automatically advancing? This is important for a learner that needs to go back and review prior to taking an assessment.

Thank you.

Lori

15 Replies
Joe Dey

Hi Lori

I'm by no means an expert here but you might want to try this method.  It looks complicated but it isn't really.  Remember you can copy and paste a trigger to avoid all the typing.

Create Variable

Create a number variable for the slide called 'slide11Revisit' or something like that.

Set States on Base Layer

Set button 1 state to normal

Set button 2 , 3 and 4 state to disabled (make sure that buttons 2,3,and 4 have these states enabled).

Set the 'Next' button to hidden.

Set Base Layer Triggers

On the slide  base layer set a slide trigger (change state of 'Next' button when timeline starts if slide11Revisit is equal to value 1.

On the first button which triggers your first layer add a trigger (change state of button 2 to normal when the user clicks button 1)

Do the same for each subsequent button (i.e. button 2 changes the state of button 3 to normal when it is clicked but also add a condition - if the state of button 1 is visited)

Set Next Button triggers

Change state of Button 1 to normal when user clicks the Next button

Change state of Button 2 to disabled when user clicks the next button

Change state of button 3 to disabled when user clicks the next button

Change state of button 4 to disabled when user clicks the next button

Jump to next slide

Set Layer 4 Triggers

On the last layer of the slide set a trigger (set variable slide11Revisit to value 1 when the timeline starts.

Also on this layer create another trigger (change state of 'Next'  button (which is on the base layer) to normal when the timeline starts.

Now create a further button and call it reset or replay and add the following triggers.

Create a Reset Button

Hide layer 1 when the user clicks the reset button

Hide layer 2 when the user clicks the rest button

Hide layer 3 when the user clicks the reset button

Hide layer 4 when the user clicks the reset button

Change state of button 1 to normal

Change state of button 2 to disabled

change state of button 3 to disabled

Change state of button 4 to disabled

(note: instead of the last 4 changes above you might just try - Jump to slide 11 and set the slide to initial state on revisit but that doesn't always work on a slide with layers).

You will now find that when the slide displays initially button 1 will be visible and buttons 2, 3, 4 will be seen but disabled until button one is clicked, this ensures the buttons are clicked in the right order if that is important.

The Next button will not be visible because you will have set it state to hidden but it will automatically become visible when layer 4 is viewed (make sure the Next button is on the base layer if you are using a custom button).

Joe

Lori Paschall

Joe,

Thanks so much for the quick response.  I think this may work except for one small detail.  The buttons on the base layer are initially set to a disabled state until timeline ends, so that the learner cannot click Next to go to next slide until all buttons have been clicked/selected. 

I will give this a try and see how it goes.

Thanks again.

Lori

Leslie McKerchie

Updating this thread so that it is easier to follow:

From this thread, I learned: 

Yes, unfortunately the assistance I received (although greatly appreciated) did not work.  I am still searching for a solution. 

From this thread, I learned:

Key points to keep in mind:

• I currently have each button on the base layer set to change from a Disabled to Normal state when the timeline ends (so that the learner cannot click the button until the slide finishes).
  • The buttons then change to a Visited state once the learner has clicked on them.

Currenlty, if I click Previous on a slide after the slide with buttons and layers, I am taken back to the last layer.  If I am able to get back to the slide, I am only able to click one button, and the slide advances to the next one.  The same thing happens if I click on the slide title in the menu (instead of using the Previous button) to revisit the slide.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Lori, I think it would be very helpful if you could share your .story file here so that you can get some assistance here. Even if you can give some insight as to why Joe's solution did not work for you so that we can continue to understand the direction that you are heading

Thanks!

Ken Cook

Thanks, but I'm good. I just tore out all of the built-in previous & next and made custom ones.
 Imho, I was not at all prepared by any of the site tutorials or program help at the unintuitive nature of how they work  (better stated, don't work ) with layers.
The thing that is puzzling to me about it is virtually every other aspect of the program is so well addressed. For me at least it comes across as a glaring over sight.
Don't get me wrong. I love the program and people like yourself who support it.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE smartphone

Christiane Knutzen

Hello all.

I know the thread is a bit older but I couldn't find a answer to my question. And this issue is very close to the thing I experienced:

On one slide I hide the next button when timeline starts and set it back to normal when all checkboxes are visitied/selected. The user should keep his progress so I set the properties to *return to saved state* but.. when they jump to the next slide and then back to the previous (with the checkboxes) the next button disappears again ALSO all checkboxes are still shown as selected/visited.

Here is the funny thing.. I worken on another Project with the very same conditions and.. the problem doesn't appear. I believe, it must be something very obvious but I am really unable to see it or to solve it.

I am thankful for any idea or advice :)

Christiane Knutzen

Hello Ashley,

and thanks for the quick respond.
I saved an example of my problem. I do have it with all my quiz slides. Meanwhile I can have it two ways: either the quiz will be reset when I click previous slide ( and the next button is gone) OR the next button is shown but the user is unable to take the quiz again.
I would really like to have option to take the quiz again as practice but keep the next button if the user has completed it already. (If that is any possible)

I hope I did explain it any well. I attached both possibilities I figured so far. 

Crystal Horn

Hi Christiane!  You were very close.  :)

In Scene 1, the quiz slide had a trigger on the Correct layer to change the state of the Next button to normal when the user clicked the Fortsetzen button.  The problem was that when they returned to the slide's base layer and reset the slide, the trigger to hide the Next button was still working.  That trigger will always work if there is no condition placed on it.

I made a slight change:  Instead of changing the Next button to normal on the Correct layer, I changed the trigger to adjust the next_shown variable to True.  Even if a slide resets, the value of variables will always be remembered.

I then added a condition to the trigger to hide the Next button on the base layer: only if the next_shown variable is false.  On the base layer I added another trigger:  change the state of the Next button to normal if the next_shown variable is true.

Now, once the learner gets the correct answer, they're going to reset the next_shown variable to true.  And when they revisit the slide, the objects will be reset to the initial state, and the trigger to change the Next button to normal will work (thanks to the variable).

Have a look at your modified project.  I hope that helps!

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.