Preview errors

Have you ever run into the issue of a file that refuses to preview a slide, or anything, correctly? That throws an error when you try?

I am aware of Javascript not being able to be viewed in a preview, but has Storyline thrown an error on a page when you preview it, or try to publish it? If so, what have you done to reverse this?

I was working with a file this morning that was corrupt, but I didn't realize it right away. After spending time trying to re-write the errant slide in various ways, I noticed that I couldn't view the Master slides or the Feedback slides! Luckily, my instructional designer had another version of the file that was not corrupt, and I went to work on that when she told me where it was.

I went to work on the good file, but I started to see there might be issues with it as well. When I started to add layers, I started to get the preview error again.  This slide in question had 12-14 layers to begin with. I ended up simplifying the structure so that there were 8 layers, because I saw a simpler way of coding what I wanted to achieve; much of the layer structure was redundant code. When I did simplify, then try to add another layer, I started to get the error again(!?) so I deleted that new layer, and the slide previewed correctly without issues.

I was getting a sneaking suspicion that there might be an upper limit to how many layers (not slides), total, you can have in a file. Or perhaps slides or layers can cross-link in some fashion...?

I also tried to look for other reasons why this error might have occurred:

  • There was audio on each layer. I checked to make sure each was 44.1k 192mbps mps. And all checked out correctly.
  • I checked to see if the layers had unique names, and were not “reserve” names – although I don’t think I have ever seen that problem in Storyline, nor have I read anything pertaining to that possible issue.
  • I also looked to see if perhaps my Storyline preferences might have been corrupted in some way. I guess I was thinking about how you could run into issues with older Flash APIs, and resetting preferences was a solution.

Can anyone shine a light on this issue? So far I have not had to rebuild a course, but I have seen this issue arise in other files.

I am using Storyline version 2. We never imported Powerpoint, or built the original in SL1 - we just built the course entirely in SL2 from the git-go.

Thanks!

 

2 Replies
Christie Pollick

Hi, Mark -- Thanks so much for your question and I'm really sorry to hear of your troubles!

In addition to the resources Wendy has shared, I thought I might also share the following steps if you would need to attempt recovery of a corrupt file. 

1) Open this folder in Windows Explorer: %appdata%\Articulate\Storyline

2) Scan the contents of this folder for a file that starts with the name of your project. If you find one, copy it to your desktop. If you find more than one, copy the latest version to your desktop.

3) Change the file extension of the copy on your desktop from *.tmp to *.story.

And in order to potentially avoid corruption in the future, please see this article: Follow These Tips to Reduce Your Risk of Corrupting or Losing Project Files. 

Please let us know if you are all set or still need more help! :)