Preview not working

Dec 28, 2015

Help!  I am new to Storyline and I am trying to preview a file that I imported from PowerPoint.  Preview is not working; it just displays a blank screen.  I opened other files that previously worked and preview is not working on any of them.  The files are on my C: drive, I have uninstalled and reinstalled Storyline on my computer but the problem still persists.  Can anyone help?

42 Replies
alan saunders

We're also experiencing this issue at my organization. Some computers can display the preview, while others can't. We're all running the same SL2 build and all receive the same Windows 7 updates, so, it's strange that only certain computers are affected. On top of not being able to preview a course, when they go into the Player menu (to edit menu items, player colors, etc), the player won't render there either, it shows up as the same blank box. 

Hopefully this gets resolved soon! We've tried numerous methods of installing/uninstalling/system restarts/etc with no luck.

EDIT - after comparing our update histories, it definitely seems to have something to do with that. The most recent update they received actually failed on my machine, hence, why I am still able to preview courses/edit the player.

Sighle Denier

I am also experiencing this problem on a Windows 7 (SP1). I've also uninstalled, rebooted, re-downloaded storyline 2 trial, reinput serial # and no luck.

This also stopped working for us today around the same time. Norton 360 is my anti-virus and it is up to date. I tried disabling the firewall and auto-protect for 15 minutes and that didn't help either. This is also only happening on one machine currently.

Publish/Review Content does continue to work. This is a temporary workaround. 

Tim Neill

I have just hit the same problem for the first time, about 30 minutes ago, affecting two Windows 7 Professional systems, 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601. Publishing does still work. This fails with all existing courses recently built (and able to be previewed until earlier today) and also fails with a new project, one slide. What's going on? 

Andreas Aposto

Hi,

I am trying to preview a slide or scene or project. Preview is not working;
it just displays a blank screen (please see attached image).
Yesterday when I downloaded and installed Storyline 2 it was working fine.

OS Windows 7. I didn't do any windows update or any other update since yesterday as my machine is a corporate machine and I need to have admin rights in order to do any update.

One last thing. The color of Storyline 2 UI gives me a hard time as it is very bright comparing with Storyline 1 colors. Could you do something to correct it?

Thanks
Andreas

Tim Neill

Articulate support told me just now that the problem is with the latest Adobe Flash plugin (version 20 0 0 267). The fix is here and it works: https://www.articulate.com/support/storyline-2/preview-isnt-working-in-articulate-software-with-flash-player-2000267-installed

The fix they describe (for now) is to go back to the previous Flash plugin version. It didn't take long to do.

Hopefully Storyline 2 will soon be modified to work with the current Flash plugin. Top marks to Articulate support for identifying the problem this morning and to responding to my request so promptly - I imagine they saw the problem clearly on all their machines too!

I now have a working Storyline 2 Preview mode.

Sanna Skants

Tim, thanks! I was able to fix the preview issue by uninstalling the latest Flash plugin and installing the previous version.

So, repeating Tim's advice and the same Articulate support link: a quick fix for those who are able to install and uninstall software by themselves: https://www.articulate.com/support/storyline-2/preview-isnt-working-in-articulate-software-with-flash-player-2000267-installed.

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi all,

Thanks for reaching out here. This is something that seemed to bubble up over night with a recent release of Flash player and our Support engineers were hard at work on this issue. We've got some updated documentation here and a workaround and we'll keep folks posted on any additional information once we've got information to share. 

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.