Previous button

May 02, 2013

I have mastered the art of controling when the user can click the "Next" button, but how do I put triggers/conditions on the "Previous" button.  It's a completely optional button, so there is no exact when to add to the trigger.

My issue is that when the users are going through the content on one slide, they click objects on the slide that takes them to layers.  They click the "X" that I have placed to hide that layer and then the object shows the "visited" state.  Only after they have clicked all objects can they click on the "Next" button.  But they can click "Previous" at any time, and if they do so during one of the layers, when they come back, the layer shows on top of the base slide. 

What's the quickest way to fix that?

Thank you!

3 Replies
Alexandros Anoyatis

Hi Teresa,

Well, off the top of my head, the easy fix would be to set the slide to reset to initial state when revisiting.

Depending on your slide config, this will most likely introduce a small side effect - the learners who click on the 'previous button' would be required to click on the objects again - which can be a bit of a nuisance for them IMHO.

If you wanted to go the extra mile, you could additionally introduce a small "layer reset policy" such as :

A) Create a T/F variable (say 'b2b' - BackToBase) with an initial value of false.
B) Create a trigger : Change value of b2b=False when timeline starts on every base layer.
C) Insert trigger : Hide this layer when timeline starts if b2b=True on every layer.
D) Insert trigger : Change value of b2b=True when user clicks previous button on every slide that has one (should be positioned prior to the existing 'jump to previous slide' trigger.

Hope this helps,
Alex

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.