Problem with button initial states & slide Reset to initial state

I've come across a problem when using button initial states & the slide 'Reset to initial state' option together. The problem only seems to occur in HTML5 viewed on iPad/Android.

I've created a simple test file to illustrate the problem. (source file attached)

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/841877/test/button%20test%20output/story.html

In this example, the lower button uses an action to set the state, while the other button uses the 'initial state' option.

Both buttons should appear in their disabled state when the page opens. This works in the Flash version but not on an iPad/Android viewing HTML5 version.

Is this a known issue and is there any way around it other than using actions to set button states? (I'm trying to avoid using unnecessary actions as the project I'm working on already has a lot going on in the action panel)

8 Replies
Andy Houghton

Hi 

I have a similar problem. I set the initial state of a button to disabled so that I can make it active later using a trigger. It works fine in the Flash version, but it seems that the HTML5 version doesn't recognise the initial state.

Does anyone know if this is a bug, or am I doing something wrong? 

Thanks

Andy

Christine Hendrickson

Welcome to E-Learning Heroes, Andy!

It may be a limitation of HTML5, but it really depends on how you're triggering that state change. For example, are you applying a "Hover" trigger or something similar? If so, that may be the cause of the issue.

You can find more information about the supported features in Storyline's Flash, HTML5 and Articulate Mobile Player output types in this article

If you continue to have trouble with this, can you tell us a little more about how you have your course and the triggers setup?

Thanks and welcome again!

Christine

Andy Houghton

Hi Christine

Thanks for replying - if a similar post to this appears that's because I posted once, but when I came back it wasn't showing.

Anyway, I'm not doing anything fancy. I'm working on a interface and only want the active buttons to show so I disabled the others. You can see the Flash and HTML 5 version in the attached screen grab. Within the project I noticed the same thing but that was setting the initial state to disabled so I can turn them on with a trigger.

Screengrab is from Chrome Version 26.0.1410.64 m

Thanks in advance,

Andy

Christine Hendrickson

Hi there Andy,

Not sure what happened to the other post, I haven't been able to find it. Sorry about that!

Thanks for the screenshot - very nice job, I like the look. 

I can definitely see what you mean. Curious, though, have you tried viewing the HTML5 version in another browser? Also, how are you viewing the content? Are you viewing it locally or uploading it to a web server or LMS?

Any chance you could share the .STORY file here? I'd be happy to try and see what may be causing this.

Thanks!

Christine

Andy Houghton

Hi Christine

Thanks - viewing on a server - I think locally it defaults to Flash version  but I'd have to check.

Yes have tried lots of browsers, I can do some more testing and perhaps start the project from scratch but are you saying that this is not a known bug, and there is no reason for it not to work?

Thanks

Andy

Christine Hendrickson

Good morning Andy,

I can't confirm it's a bug without testing the file, or without having our support team test it. There could be other conflicts in the course that could be causing the problem, or it may be due to a limitation. Since no course files are the same, it's difficult to say for a fact that you're running into the exact same issue. 

The reason I'd want to confirm this, is because I'd much rather get your course fixed if at all possible. If there's a chance we can get it working for you, that'd be great :) If we cannot, then we'll be able to use the information you provide, your system information and the course information to determine if there's a connection to a known issue. If that's the case, the additional information may help us in resolving the issue. 

If, after you've done some additional testing, you find that the issue persists, we'd be happy to take a look. You'll be able to attach the .STORY file on the second page of the following form:

Articulate Support - Submit a Support Case

Please be sure to include a description of your issue. Please also include the URL for this thread in the form. Also, please share the case number with me. You're welcome to do so here, or in a private message. This way I can follow the progress of the case and update this thread.

Thank you very much, Andy.

Christine