Problem with States

Jun 28, 2020

Greetings all,

I built a slide which has six images in it. When the user hovers over one of the images are supposed to change in state and zoom to an image which is three times larger than the original.

Everything works as it should if I move the mouse from the top  to the bottom. If I move the mouse in the opposite direction, from bottom to top then one of the images comes up and does not go back to the original state when the mouse moves on

Please see attached video showing what happens.

5 Replies
Walt Hamilton

Cameron,

For me the question is not why the bottom ones don't work, I can't figure out how any of them work. When you created the second state, you did not leave anything where the mouse is. I think you almost got away with it, because you used a custom state.

If the mouse hovers, and the hover state doesn't have pixels under it, the system thinks the mouse has left and restores the previous state. I set up STP that way using the built-in Hover state. (You don't want that, but I built it to illustrate what is happening.) Mouse hovers, new state appears, mouse is not touching original state, system restores previous state. Now mouse is hovering over original state, so new state appears, and the cycle continues.

I set up JIS using the built-in hover, but in the hover state, I left the original thumbnail. The system doesn't try to restore the previous state until the mouse leaves the thumbnail, so there is no flickering.

The lug I left as is, and sometimes it gets stuck. It is unpredictable, but most frequently seems to happen if you enter from the bottom, move laterally, then exit quickly to the top.

The stud I left your trigger and state name, but left a thumbnail in the original position on the second state. I think that would be my preference.

If you have design considerations that require the original to disappear, there is the Twin. It has your state name and trigger, but I created a rectangle the exact size of the thumbnail, set its transparency to 99%, and pasted it to the original spot in the second state. The transparent shape gives the mouse something to hover over, so you don't have restore problems.

For all of these, edit the states, choose the second state, and paste the thumbnail at the little crosshair. I was really careless about the placement, which is why some of them appear to move when hovered over.

Gillian Vazey

Hi Walt,

Thank you very much for the time and trouble you've taken to explain the situation to me. I am a relatively new user so the subtleties of things like hover states are probably somethings I'm not yet fully understanding.

I will experiment with your suggestion of twin states a see if I can make any progress that way.

I'll let you know how I go as I fiddle.

Kind Regards,

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.