Problems with blurriness/screen resolution in Articulate 360

Jan 16, 2017

Has anyone noticed a significant downgrade in resolution when upgrading a file from Storyline 2 to 360? I noticed that my slides are much blurrier in 360, not nearly as sharp as in Storyline 2.

I am very interested in upgrading to Storyline 2, but this is a concern. Has anyone else experienced this problem?

47 Replies
Alyssa Gomez

Hello Sanghamitra!

You can change the colors for the modern player, using the Light or Dark options, and one accent color. Here's how. 

If you need more control over colors for each player feature, you can switch to the classic player and use the advanced color options as described here.

You can also turn off the player altogether and create your own custom navigation with buttons, hotspots, and hyperlinks. Here's how to turn off the player in Storyline 360.

Hope that helps! 

Crystal Horn

Hi Bailey!  Thanks for the screenshots.  The top one looks like you have a higher DPI, and a more manageable interface when it comes to the size of your Storyline functions.  When your settings match the top screenshot, are you seeing blurriness of the Storyline interface?

I want to be sure I understand what you're showing me!  We do have an open issue we're reviewing when the scaling is above 100% and the interface not appearing crisp.

Jack Schofield

This happens to me as well when you import png files. I us Illustrator to create a great deal of vector images and as of late they the appear in storyline as having aliased edges when previewing a slide. The final output they do not have this issue so it could be something with the preview engine.

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Tina,

The trial is a fully featured version of the software so you have all the features and functionality today (some Content Library pieces are only accessible with a subscription). 

The issues that folks have seen with the blurry previewing and authoring interface are something our team is still looking into.  I don’t currently have any updates, but you are now subscribed to this conversation which means as we share updates here, you’ll automatically be notified.

Debbie Damis

Hi, I have also recently downloaded a trial version of Storyline 360 and have found that the screen does not look as "crisp" as Storyline 2.

The problem looks like a screen resolution issue - text and icons appear slightly blurry. Storyline 2 still looks ok. I am using Windows 10 and the screen resolution is set at the optimal recommended 1920 x 1080.

I have also found that when importing projects created in Storyline 2 the 'next' button does not work so unable to advance through slides. Have checked all triggers and not sure what the issue is.

Any help would be appreciated.

Hi Debbie,

With Storyline 2 the UI would display smaller on a high-resolution monitor, but it would keep the crisp appearance as you noted. We heard from a lot of customers that as they transitioned to high-resolution and larger monitors this made working in Storyline very hard as the buttons were tiny.

When we made the shift to Articulate 360 and Storyline 3, it was done with a conscious choice to allow the UI to scale slightly to fit the screen and resolution, so that is why it may appear slightly blurrier on your monitor. 

The buttons should be working in Storyline 360 even if you upgraded it from Storyline 2 - but to figure out what's going on we'll need to have eyes on the file. Can you share it here in ELH? If not, you can always send along to our Support Team

E S

Hi! I am also encountering an issue with the blurriness/pixelatedness of my screen when using Articulate Storyline 360. I am using a pretty large external screen to display Storyline 360 (using VMware Fusion by the way). If I set my display settings to 100%, I cannot read anything anymore as all text is super small (it's simply not usable).

If I set it above 100% (it was on 300% to make it look good), my screen becomes blurry and pixelated (including the icons of the program itself), which is really annoying as well. Is there a solution to this issue yet? For now I'm setting the percentage to 150%, which isn't ideal, but makes it slightly less problematic.

When I look at a PowerPoint file in Mac, my text and other assets are simply crystal clear. Wish I could have the same in Storyline 360!

Dan Slusser

So I just installed Articulate360/Storyline as a bit of a trial; I'm looking to add some additional tools into my toolbox. It seems like a pretty solid program with a lot of potential and I'm fortunate enough to have a university grad program currently covering the cost of the full program, but to be honest, this issue is a deal breaker for me. At its current state with this "bug," I don't see myself using the program, and I certainly wouldn't recommend it. I keep watching these tutorial videos and they preach about "pixel perfect" and "responsive" to any screen. As I sift through the threads of this community, it appears that one of the seemingly core values (responsive/pixel perfect) of this Articulate software suite is "broken" and has been for quite some time. I work at a school with over 200 designers who would immediately fall in love with this program if I presented it to them, but unfortunately I can't, and won't, endorse Articulate products until there's a solution to this (especially at the high cost of a yearly subscription). It's already a disappointment that there are no Mac/iOS versions of the product (especially since so many designers I know use Mac/iOS products), but I can work around that for now. Sadly, what I can't work around is this glaring issue of blurriness on different screen sizes and resolutions sizes. It completely changes the user experience and I have no idea what the product will ultimately look like as I go about designing because of this blurriness. The suggested fixes that I've seen really don't address the core issue, some people might consider them "acceptable," but I am not one of them. I'm concerned that this issue is only going to grow as more and more people move to HDPi monitors and screens. 

I'm just really trying to advocate for a software solution to this problem. I truly want to use this program and I want to tell my colleagues about the entire software suite. As a person who has some leverage to purchase products for my place of employment, it seems to me like this bug isn't only affecting current users, it could be affecting future sales of the product – it certainly is in my case. 

Hi Dan,

Thanks for taking the time to share here. I can see how this issue is causing you concern and hesitation at using the tool, and I'd love to gather a bit more information from you about your set up.

It would help to know: 

• Your display size (i.e I use an LG Ultra Fine 27-inch (5120 x 2880) monitor)
  • Your current resolution scaling where Storyline is blurry or too small 
  • Windows and/or Mac OS

I'll share those with the team as we continue to look into this. 

Dan Slusser

Hi Ashley, thanks for your reply. I can go into a number of different scenarios, but unfortunately I don't have a ton of time to run through the entire scope. Here are a few bits of information, hopefully it's enough to go on for now.

I've worked in a Windows 10 Parallels virtual machine on a 15in Mac Retina display. I've thrown up to 2 gigs of dedicated, discrete video ram at it as well as up to 12gb of RAM for Parallels to divvy up how it chooses. I've taken the resolution up to 4096x2160 on an external 4k Samsung display, both mirrored and extended and just about every combination of resolution and zoom levels imaginable. Both the built in Mac Retina display and the external display have issues with blurriness and font size issues.

I've used a dedicated Windows 10 HP machine with the same external 4k Samsung display with resolution up to 4096x2160, both mirrored and extended and again just about every combination of resolution and zoom levels imaginable; the same results as the Parallels virtual machine.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.