Problems with Keyboard navigation in Articulate 360 file

Jun 06, 2019

With the assistance of a colleague, I have created a compliance training that is accessible and uses triggers instead of the player. The player, we found, was creating traps in keyboard navigation, which is very detrimental to accessibility. We have a table of contents and a quiz at the end. What we are finding is that the keyboard tabbing now works fine for the quiz portion of the training, but in the main content, the elements selected by tabbing around work fine the first time through the tab order, but then at some point pop outside the main slide into the address bar and we can't get it to come back without using the mouse to click inside the frame--thus defeating the purpose of keyboard navigation. We've been trying to figure it out, but my colleague, who has a lot more experience at this, can't find any difference between the quiz and the content to explain why this is happening. We created the basic quiz in Quizmaker, imported it into the main presentation, and then added audio and navigation buttons to it since we discovered adding audio and updating the tab order was not an option in Quizmaker by itself (too bad!).

Has anyone else see this happen? Any ideas how to fix it? Help is appreciated, but please explain in layman's terms. I'm new to Articulate and still learning. I need to get this compliance training launched ASAP, so I appreciate any feedback you can give me.

3 Replies
Leslie McKerchie

Hi Thieme,

Thanks for reaching out and sharing what you are experiencing. 

That's not an issue I'm familiar with. Is this happening in a specific browser or are you seeing the issue in multiple browsers?

Do you know what version of Storyline you're using?

You can check by going to:
Help > About Articulate Storyline

We are currently on Build 3.28.18944.0 of Storyline 360. You can read all of the details here.

We did have a fix that may be related:

Fixed: Keyboard navigation didn't always work properly when retaking or reviewing a quiz.

Leslie McKerchie

Thanks for confirming, Thieme. I was going to open a support case on your behalf and see that you've already done so and Chino is taking a look. Thanks for sharing your .story file there. 

You should be hearing from someone soon.

With regards to your post being flagged, it happens sometimes in our spam filtering, but they are checked regularly and legit posts are released to the forum. I apologize for any inconvenience, but it did get you right where you needed to be in this case :)

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.