"Prompt to Resume" function in Storyline 360

Dec 14, 2018

Hello,

I have a Storyline 360 (current version) project and I do have the "Prompt to Resume" setting enabled, but the project is not prompting people when they return to the course.

Also I tried to  "reset to initial state" of every slide, this did not work.

I have the project on an unsecured server for testing, would that affect the "Prompt to Resume" function? or does that only work in a LMS environment?

Thanks,
Tom

8 Replies
Crystal Horn

Hey there, Tom.  In an LMS, the resume feature uses the LMS to hold onto the data that tells Storyline where to start the course when it's revisited.  In a web environment, we use cookies in Flash, and web storage with HTML5 (localStorage).  Here's some techy detail on that:

https://www.w3.org/TR/webstorage/#the-storage-interface

Do you know if your server would use that protocol?  If you include Flash output in your publishing, you can take advantage of Tempshare for testing your content, including the resume functionality.

Robert Renk

I have the Resume Prompt active in my course. Each time I have tested it in the LMS the Resume dialog box comes up, but when I click on Resume it always takes me to the same slide no matter how far past that slide I've gotten in the course.

I saw in your post that In an LMS, the resume feature uses the LMS to hold onto the data that tells Storyline where to start the course when it's revisited. Is there something that has to be done on the LMS side to update where a returning user will start from if they have to come back to the course multiple times or does something have to be done on the Storyline side?

I have the most current version of Storyline 360 and our LMS is Success Factors.

Rita Cronise

We are also experiencing a sudden change. Our prompt to resume feature was working last term, but we relaunched our courses on Monday (August 17, 2020) and several (of our 50) courses are no longer offering the Resume/Restart option if people leave and return. The courses automatically restart.

I've checked in Chrome Version 84.0.4147.135 (Official Build) (64-bit), Firefox Version 68.10.0esr (64-bit), and Microsoft Edge 44.18362.449.0

All versions have the same behavior. Settings in the player (Modern player) are:

Launch player in new window/Allow user to resize browser 

and

On restart: Prompt to resume. 

(The courses have been active for several years. Our last term ran from May 27-July 20, 2020.) We relaunched on August 20, with no change to the player settings and now the Resume feature is no longer working. 

Leslie McKerchie

Hi Rita,

Thanks for reaching out and sharing what you are experiencing with your published courses.

When you mention re-launching, does that mean you had a re-publish, or are these the originally published courses?

• If a re-publish, what version of Storyline are you using?
    • You can check by going to: Help > About Articulate Storyline
    • We are currently on Build 3.43.22859.0 Storyline 360. You can read all of the details here.
  • If the original courses, are the same users that completed the courses taking them again?

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.