Publish as Flash/HTML5 and HTML5/Flash in SL360?

Nov 22, 2016

Hi, 

I think I understand the idea of publish as Flash/HTML5, and HTML5/Flash. But just wondering that Flash technology is fading away soon (Sorry Flash) so why don't we just have HTML5/Flash publish. This will still give the course the Flash fallback if needed. And also I am assuming that SL360 creates "two" versions (Flash and HTML5) in the background anyway so why not just have HTML5/Flash?  

32 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Tanja, 

We're always encouraging more examples with an issue that is still open with our team - that way we can see a number of different use cases and use those to test out fixes before they are rolled out. You can share here in the ELH forums, or send direct to our Support Engineers. 

It sounds like what you're experiencing is a bit different than my previous response to Kat though. You're seeing the font change from Arial to something else, only while viewing in Internet Explorer? Do you know what version of IE you're using? 

Also, it sounds like you're using Storyline 360 (as a part of Articulate 360) - are you publishing and hosting the content within Articulate Online or Articulate Review? They're a bit different and knowing that piece will help me troubleshoot! 

Debbie Maclean

So my recent issue in the corporate world of publishing work despite having saved in HTML5 is the interactive activities within my storyline 360 still apparently rely of Flash so will not work on some systems such as IE11 and Chrome. I am putting the SCORM Package into Moodle and when testing on different platforms with varying results. Anyone able to help?

Leslie McKerchie

Hi Debbie and welcome to E-Learning Heroes :)

Sure. We're able to take a look and help you out.

I did want to mention that a great testing tool is SCORM Cloud, which helps identify if an issue may be within the project file or the LMS.

I'm not sure what you're experiencing difficulty with, but this chart is handy to understand some differences you may see.

Feel free to share your .story file with us and the details of the slides/interactions you mentioned above and we'd be happy to take a look.

Amy Schuster

We are having issues with our LMS limiting our file upload at 100. So we are planning to publish as HTML 5 only. Is there anything we should be aware of in this situation? Also, will this actually cut back on the amount of files we upload? If not, what do you suggest? Are there files that are not needed in a Published file or ways to cut the amount of uploaded files?

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Amy,

Are they limiting you at 100 MB file size? Publishing to HTML5 only will remove a couple files from your published output such as the story_flash.html. You'll still want to make sure that all the files included in the published output folder are uploaded to the LMS in the folder that's created upon publishing. Each file and folder structure is necessary for playback within the LMS. 

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.