Published course in Storyline 360 will not play in IE 11

Mar 23, 2017

I created a software simulation with storyline 360 and it freezes or will not play in IE11. It sometimes has problems in Firefox as well. Is this because of the size of the course? The quality of the course (resolution)? Users haven't had a problem in chrome that I am aware of.

Thanks,

Darrin

154 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Janice,

I published a copy of your file to the web and uploaded it here. That version worked for me in Chrome and IE11 - can you give it a test and let me know how it works for you? When you test it out, also let me know if you're viewing the Flash or the HTML5 output - I left your settings as is with Flash first. 

Hi Alka,

The compatibility mode needs to be disabled only for Storyline 360 courses where you're trying to view the HTML5 output in IE11. If you're using IE11 with compatibility mode enabled, you'll be viewing it in an older version of IE and therefore the HTML5 output won't work right. You could default to the Flash output if that's the case.

Janice Richardson

I was unable to email the storyline file (55M), but I've attached it to the following link (user community). Please let me know if you are able to access the file. Thanks.

https://community.articulate.com/discussions/articulate-storyline/published-course-in-storyline-360-will-not-play-in-ie-11?page=5#reply-502291

Thank you for your help.

Janice

Hi,

Attached is the zip file. Please note that there's no problem if I run the story

Marie McGuire

We were able to circumvent the issue by ensuring that the courses are published using the Flash/HTML5 publishing option (in addition to updating 360). If we use HTML5/Flash or just HTML5 the course never loads unless we turn off compatibility mode, which of course is a barrier to a good customer experience since our IT office sets compatibility mode by default.

Hope this helps.

Janice Richardson

Thank you!!

It works perfectly on IE v11. I haven’t tested on other browsers but IE will do. Please let me know how you published it without breaking IE.

Another question- is there any way to make the player screen larger? I’m using the lock player at optimal size option because it provides higher resolution.

Thanks so much for your help!

Janice

Hi Janice, 

I didn't change any of your publishing settings - but it was set to publish Flash first, HTML5 fallback. Since I uploaded it to our Amazon S3 server, it looks like it may be your site or LMS that is causing the interference. 

Also, my link worked in Chrome and IE11, so definitely give it a try in a few different browsers!

If you're locking the player screen at the optimal size, that's exactly what you'll get. We won't scale it larger to fit the browser or screen and that means there won't be any loss of quality based on scaling.

April Price

We are also having issues with IE11 and 360 html5. For testing I created a simple one question with results slide and print button. Print results screen does not display. We currently cannot use an alternate browser or change settings for 200+ computers.  Due to firewall I cannot share simple file. I have tried every setting and publishing suggested. My vs of 360 is v3.13.14869.0. Any assistance would be appreciated. 

Hi Dave,

If you're using compatibility mode within IE11, you're forcing IE to display as if it's an older version. When that happens, the HTML5 output is going to struggle as older versions of IE didn't behave as well with the HTML5 output. A site like HTML5test.com will help you compare the differences. 

As for the issue described here, it's impacting the HTML5 Print function in Internet Explorer 11 and Microsoft Edge when viewing. We'll let you know here once that is resolved, but I worry if you're still viewing it in Compatibility mode you won't be able to use that feature anyway. 

Beverley Davis

Ashley,

We are concerned with the print feature not working in IE11. We have several hundred employees who insist on printing their completion evidence and IE11 is our only "allowed" browser.
I am currently using Storyline 2, but we are updating to 360 and I have to be sure the HTML5 features work for us.

~ Beverley Curia

Hi Beverley,

It should be working for you now in Storyline 2, as the IE11 output that you'd be viewing is likely our Flash output (we didn't support HTML5 in IE11 with Storyline 2). If you upgrade to 360, the Flash output will still work with this feature, and our team is still looking into the issue with HTML5 output. We'll post here once that is fixed or we have any more information! 

Lu Chen

Hi Alyssa,

Can you please let me know if there's solution for this issue already? I have Storyline 360 v3.13.15006.0, and this problem is still present.

My client needs to launch a 23-language course to 50K employees around the globe by next Tuesday, May 1, so you can see this is extremely time sensitive.

I have submitted a support case (case number 01350667). Both my client and I would really appreciate a quick response.

Thank you for your help!

Lu

Crystal Horn

Hey everybody. I'm excited to let you know that we just released update 18 for Storyline 360! It includes new fixes - check them all out here.

One of the fixes addresses an issue where in HTML5 output, the Print function was not working in Internet Explorer 11 and Microsoft Edge.

Here’s how you can update Storyline 360 to take advantage of everything the latest release has to offer. Let me know how you make out!

Victoria Shaw

Hello Alyssa,

I see that this is an old thread and was wondering if this issue was solved.

We have multiple customers reporting issues with playing the Storyline 360 content in IE compatibility mode. These customers will not stop using compatibility mode.

Can you please tell me the solution to this issue?

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Victoria!

We released a fix for the issue where Storyline 360 content would not play in IE11 when compatibility mode is enabled in Update 8, and we're now on Update 18. 

Was this content published with the latest update of Storyline 360? To check, click the Help tab, then click About Storyline. You should see 3.18.16333.0 in the bottom-right corner. 

Rajagopalan V

Hi Alyssa,

We are still facing the same problem with 360 v3.26.18601.0.

Our Customer has removed flash entirely out of their LMS and systems. Also, it is set that there should not be flash fallback for any their courses in their LMS. So we have to rely only with HTML5 output with NO flash fallback. 

The courses published from 360 are not launching in IE11.

On the launch window, when we check the browser emulation settings, it shows the document mode as "5 (Default)". Please see the attached screenshot. Is it something to do around this? Please advise.