Publishing as a Video in Storyline 360 Not Working - Starts, but Will Not Complete

Oct 12, 2018

I am trying to publish a SL 360 course as a video (mp4) and it will not complete. I have 6 slides, and on one slide is a 90-second video. The total time for all six slides is about 2 min, 16 seconds. It has been publishing now for almost an hour. The message reads "Encoding Video - 1.6 Untitled Slide - 2:16." So it appears to have gone all the way through based on the time, but it will not finish. I have tried this three times and it gets stuck right here. I even tried removing the video from my project and it is doing the same thing - any ideas? Thank you.

35 Replies
Roberta Lapsitis

I currently made updates to videos I published to video in 2019, they were perfect.  I made minor edits to the Storyline 360 file, and republished to video. Now the images in the video are flashing. It seems to be flashing when shapes or images are animating...but not in the entire video...only the beginning and end.  I had a colleague published on his computer as well, with the same results. is there a fix for this?

Lauren Connelly

Hi Roberta!

So sorry this affecting your file! I've noticed the flickering in other files and there are different causes. Would you mind sharing the file so we can determine a fix? 

You can share your file by either:

• Using the "Add Attachment" button in this discussion.
  • Uploading it privately to our Support Engineers by using this link

Either way, we'll take a look and share our findings!

John Van Dreser

I have also experience the flashing issue recently when I publish as a video.  I knew  I had published a video in early April with no screen flashing. So, I tried to re-publish it yesterday and it now had screen flashing.

I rolled-back the SL360 install to the March 3 release and published the file. The video was smooth and no problems.  The April 7 release still had the flashing in the published video.

Vincent Scoma

Hi Carmen, 

Thank you for reaching out and letting us know! Let's see if we can get to the bottom of this snag. 

May I ask if you could share your file with us for further troubleshooting? You can share files in this thread or you’re always welcome to share them privately here. We'll let you know our findings and will delete it after having a closer look!

John Hudson

Looks like there are still bugs in the software. I used Storyline to create a short video overview of a recent course we launched. At first I used one slide with 9 layers. In this way I could play a background music track on the base layer with individual voice segments on each layer and automatically moving between layers with a trigger on media completion - worked perfect in the Preview. This technique has worked great in the past but when publishing the video today it just published a repeating loop with the first layer and no voice-over. I copied the content into a new presentation with same result. Eventually moved everything to separate pages in one scene but when publishing the "Entire Project" it only processed half of the pages. Then I tried publishing only the Scene and it worked! Finished the video up in Replay by adding the music track and republishing.  Hopefully these continued issues with publishing videos can be addressed because it is a very useful tool for creating  great videos.

Lauren Connelly

Hi Brian!

I'm happy to help! The best place to start is by taking a look at the .story file. Would you mind sharing that with us? You can attach it to this public discussion or upload it privately using this secure upload link. Either way, we'll take a look to see what might be causing the snag where text boxes flicker when publishing to video in Storyline 360.

Nadia Infantino

Hi there. I hope you are well. I am having the same issue with uploading to Review 360. I have tried reverting to Update 35 as suggested above, but there is no option to do so as I am guessing that the update is no longer available because it has been almost 2 years since its release. Please could you advise? Thank you.

Leslie McKerchie

Hi Nadia, and welcome to E-Learning Heroes. 😊

Thank you for reaching out and sharing that you are experiencing an issue. However, this sounds different from the original issue specific to publishing to video.

Can you preview the entire course or publish it in any other format?

I'm curious if the issue happens in any project you are working on or just this particular one?