Publishing for IPad

Apr 17, 2017

I'm going to try not show too much ignorance here...I didn't realize that installing ST3 would cause me to lose the use of ST2.  I was in the middle of development.  I used HTML5 for publishing so that IPads could view courses.  In ST3, I'm not techy enough to know which publishing output I should use.  What is the recommendation for setting  for publishing that will make the course viewable on IPad, as well as non Apple desktops and tablets? Should I stick with HTML5 only?

2 Replies
Leslie McKerchie

Hello Gwen - 

First, let me try to understand what you mean by losing the use of Storyline 2? You are certainly able to have both Storyline 3 and Storyline 2 on your system and use them both, however, anything you create in Storyline 3 is not reverse compatible to Storyline 2.

It sounds like you are asking which format to publish with. HTML5/Flash is now the default version for Storyline 3 and you can read about the options here:

• HTML5: This publishes your course as HTML5 output only.
  • HTML5/Flash: This publishes your course as HTML5 first with Flash fallback. Learners will see HTML5 output if they’re using a supported HTML5 browser (Storyline 360Storyline 3). If not, they’ll see Flash output.
  • Flash/HTML5: This publishes your course as Flash first with HTML5 fallback. Learners will see Flash output if they’re using a Flash-enabled browser. If not, they’ll see HTML5 output.
  • Flash: This publishes your course as Flash output only.

That setting will work on your mobile devices as well.

Using HTML5 only output will limit any users utilizing a browser with Flash enabled.

Alyssa Gomez

Hi there Gwen! No worries on not being "techy." This community is for beginners, experts, and everyone in between. I learn something new here everyday!

You can install Storyline 2 and Storyline 3 on the same computer and use both versions at the same time. Are you having trouble using Storyline 2 now that you've installed Storyline 3?

Since you asked about publishing a course for iPad, be sure to include HTML5 output when you publish. The HTML5/Flash format is the best option for you since some learners will use an iPad and some will use a desktop or tablet. When learners launch your course, they’ll automatically see the right version for their device because you've included both HTML5 and Flash.

You don't need to include the Articulate Mobile Player, but it's there as an option. If you included Articulate Mobile Player output, the course will launch in the free Articulate Mobile Player app for iPad. If learners don’t already have the app, they’ll be prompted to install it.

If you didn’t include Articulate Mobile Player output, the HTML5 version of your course will launch in mobile Safari.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.