Publishing to CD

Sep 21, 2016

I have a "menu" that I would like to publish to a CD. The menu houses links to a variety of PDFs, videos (mp4), and storyline files (all published for CD format). I have two questions/dilemmas.

First, the storyline files I am adding to this "menu" would preferably open as executable files; am I correct in making the "jump to URL/file" link to the .exe file? Will it actually work considering it will be grabbing it from the whole output folder that will be housed in the "menu" output folder?

Second, I have tried various ways of burning the "menu" to CDs, but nothing seems to work. Could someone offer some advice on how to do this? Preferably, the "menu" would autorun once the CD is put into the computer and learners would not be able to access the actual folders that house all of the content. 

A sample picture is attached for reference.

5 Replies
Brian Dennis

Creating CDs that auto start on Windows, Macs and other computers is quite different - there's no universal way. A web search would be your best starting point, as this "coding" is outside of SL's control.

Regarding jumping, you might want to search these forums using the search box as developers have found interesting results depending on the type of target object.  Lastly do note SL content - when run locally (even by CD) is subject to some restrictions; again these forums detail some of the caveats. The Articulate team frequently posts links to some of the key KnowledgeBase articulates

Bella Mills

I've searched numerous forums here and on other online sources and could not find a solution, that is why I posted my questions here; I'm very aware that other posts have been done on this, but the solutions given do not seem to work for me, so I wanted to see if anyone could give me a direct answer. I'm preferably looking for something more than "just search online" because that has already been done on my end.

Dave Cox

For information about how to create and autorun CD, take a look here. (That's Microsoft's page about how to do this.)

Be aware though, even if you set up an autorun file, it may not always work. Some people (like me) always turn off autorun and sometime security settings can turn off autorun.

As far as linking to content on your CD, yes you would use jump to URL/File. 

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.