Question bank

Feb 01, 2013

Hello,

I'm creating a question bank and would like to have an explanation slide after each question is answered. These explanation slides can be complex with video, animation and maybe audio (not just a "simple" feedback). 

I created an explanation slide to test this concept and I cannot make it appear after the question is done. I tried attaching it to the question slide, but it didn't work.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Achi

5 Replies
Christine Hendrickson

Hi Achi!

What  you could do is just insert a new slide after the question slide, itself. For example, using the course you shared with me earlier, I went to the first question slide I modified for "Assessment". Right-click on that slide and select "New Slide". This slide should automatically show after the question slide. So, when the user hits "Submit", this slide will show next. You can put the additional information, videos, etc. on this slide as well. 

When the user hits next, they should be able to see the next question. You can use the same method to insert a new slide for this question and provide information for each of the questions you have with this method.

Let me know if this works for you!

Christine

Achikam Oren-Gribnerg

Thanks for your prompt reply.

I did it and it does not work, I think because the way the question bank is setup -- to pick up a random question. When I tried it the way you explained it picked up the answer slide randomly as a question.... This is why I tried to lock it to the question before it and it didn't work....
What I'm trying to do now is create a second scene with answers and connect each question with its own answer and redirect it back to the question scene. Not sure if it will work out smoothly.
Achi
Christine Hendrickson

Ahhh, ok, sorry about that. I don't think the questions were random in the original version that I worked with.

How about adding a trigger on the question slide to show the additional slide when the user clicks submit? This way, no matter what order they're in, they'll be "tied" to the additional information slide. I may need to play around with it a little bit to see if this would work.

Are you still using the same course I looked at yesterday? And the questions are all random now, correct?

Achikam Oren-Gribnerg

O.k., I didn't explain myself correctly. Sorry.... Let me try again.

I am working on a different project now. We need to develop a question bank (aiming to 75 initial questions which will grow to several hundreds over time).

Students will have the opportunity to enhance their knowledge by going over these questions and practice. Therefore, at the end of each question we need to have an explanation about the correct answer. 

For this project I decided to use the question bank feature in Storyline. I setup the questions to be picked up randomly. I then went ahead and setup an answer question and tried to "connect" it to its question. This is where I'm having difficulties: I couldn't get the answer to follow its question and then after completing reviewing the answer to continue with the questions. 

So I tried to create a second scene where I'll have all of the answers, and now I'm struggling connecting the questions with their answers and back to the question bank.

So I'm not sure if I'm heading in the right direction. In addition, I realized that I need to setup the session in such a way that a question will not repeat itself.

I hope that I make myself clear now..

Thanks,

Achi

Christine Hendrickson

Hi Achi,

I see, I think I'm understanding this.. hopefully I wasn't aware you were on a new course, sorry about that!

I'm not entirely sure you'll be able to do this with scenes. Perhaps lightboxes would work, but that would really depend on the type of content you're working with.

Basically, what you want to do is display the additional information as soon as the user submits their answer, correct? Do you want to do this for both the correct and incorrect answers? Or do you only want to show the additional information if the user gets the answer wrong? 

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.