Quiz Hanging

Jan 08, 2019

Hi All

Not too sure what is happening here but I have been building some modules using our templates when I noticed that on retry of a failed quiz, usually going to the results screen, the player hangs (three dots).

This seems to only happen in my preview or file I have created, colleagues seem to not be having this issue.

I have done some testing and it seems to be when I set the quiz to randomly ask a certain number of questions when I include ALL the questions it runs fine.

I have attached a file which hangs on retry for me, for a colleague it seems to work fine.

Can someone please look into this and test, please advise why my player and storyline version is causing this?

Highly frustrated.. thanks 

16 Replies
Simon Bertoli

An addition to this, it seems I can have a slide (the results one) which has a button with a reset results trigger once, but when I re-attempt the quiz and then should go to that slide, it hangs.

If I move the reset results trigger to a slide before the quiz it will show the result slide but then hang when I go to the slide before the quiz (If this makes sense)

In summary it appears any slide with the reset trigger cannot be seen twice

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Simon, really sorry you ran into that issue. We've seen similar behavior when retrying question slides in a question bank. You're right -- it seems to be related to the reset trigger happening twice.

You can temporarily work around this problem by rolling back to Update 22. Here's how.

As soon as we get this resolved, we'll let you know, then you can resume using Update 23 again. Thanks for reaching out!

Crystal Horn

Hey Simon. I'm excited to let you know that we just released update 25 for Storyline 360! It includes new features and fixes - check them all out here.

One of the fixes addresses an issue where a course could freeze or lock up when retrying a quiz from a question bank.

Here’s how you can update Storyline 360 to take advantage of everything the latest release has to offer. Let me know how you make out!

Jim Picton

G'day everyone,

Sorry to re-open the 'three dots of death' issue, but I've also been seeing this recently when testing a simple Storyline 360 course and re-playing content. The screencap below is from a course with around 7 simple screens with a multi-choice question at the end. The 'three dots of death' will pop up on random screens, not necessarily the quiz screen, whilst using the Storyline preview mode.My Storyline is up to date, build v.3.37.21614.0

Long time user - haven't encountered this one before.

Any ideas?

Lauren Connelly

Hello Jim!

The "three dots of death" term seems appropriate in this case! 😂I'm happy to help get this figured out!

The first thing I would try is to save the file to your local drive using a different name. To do this, go to "File" and then "Save As". Make sure you're saving the file to your Documents folder or Desktop.

Can you try to preview the file and see if you get the same three dots on certain slides? If so, would you mind sharing the file with me in this discussion?

David Catanzaro

I am experiencing a similar issue.  I have a storyline file that draws 35 questions from multiple question banks (5 questions randomly from 7 question banks).  The user is able to get through all the questions but it hangs on the last question and never shows the result slide.  This happen in storyline when I preview the project and when I publish it to the LMS.

I know there was a previous storyline version where this issue was a known bug.  I have since saved the original file as a new file in the Documents folder and shortened the file name but still have the same issue.  

I am using storyline version v3.28.21779.0.

Do you know of how I can resolve this issue?

Katie Riggio

Hi there, D C. Thanks for reaching out!

My hunch is that there could be a corrupt element on the last question slide. Could I have you import the slides into a new Storyline project to see if that helps?

If that doesn't work, are you comfortable with sharing the .story file? I'd like to dig in to see what is happening and will delete the course after. You can use this private upload link.

Michelle Court

I'm having this issue too, It's hanging on the last question (a template multiple choice - not random). This is just started happening as this was working fine a few weeks ago. I have updated my storyline version though since then. I'm now on v3.39.22088.0

Please help, I have eager clients. Can't upload file - signed an NDA.

Katie Riggio

Hi Michelle. So sorry you hit this!

We keep all content secure and are happy to sign an NDA if that works for you and your client. Simply let our team know

In the meantime, I'll try my best to help you find a fix without seeing the file. My recommendations are:

Let me know if these ideas don't help, we'll keep at it!

Michelle Court

Fiddled about with this a fair bit. Discovered that it was a text displayed built-in variable - If I typed in the variable myself (%Results.ScorePercent%) it hung, so I did the following:

1. Copied content from existing results slide
  2. Deleted the results slide
  3. Reinserted new results slide which displays the built in variable I need
  4. Pasted old content, but used the the displayed built-in variable from the newly inserted slide

...and it worked -  thank goodness.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.