quiz latency not reported to LMS SCORM 2004

May 14, 2013

We have a simple Storyline project with a quiz published as SCORM 2004. Once deployed on our LMS, we have checked that we get all the tracking information we expected. Everything is correct except we always have property 'latency' set to 0 for all questions.

So we add a SCORM wrapper to see all the SCORM API calls performed by Storyline, and sorry guys, but there is no call at all to set the property cmi.interactions.N.latency (where N is the number of the question).

Also notice everything works fine with Quizmaker contents published on our LMS, they always include latency information.

So despite what's indicated here :

http://www.articulate.com/support/kb_article.php?product=st1&id=79nsl3hhgneg

it sounds like latest release of Storyline does not report latency to a SCORM LMS.

Could you please check, or maybe tell us if we need to set a specific parameter on each question to get this property set?

18 Replies
Peter Anderson

Hi Eric, 

Just to confirm, when you test the course in SCORM Cloud, do you get the same behavior? That will help us determine if the issue is Articulate-related or if it's on your LMS's side. 

I'm also curious to know what type of questions you've included in your course - one specific type, or several different types? 

Thanks, Eric. Looking forward to your response. 

Eric Malalel

Hi Peter,

I published on SCORM Cloud, here is the log of a session:

http://cloud.scorm.com/sc/guest/ViewDebugLog?logId=d5dc50d7-3c9c-44eb-8ca4-8d526c027d5e&courseTitle=quiz+avec+signature

As you can see, there is no "latency" property set for interactions.

This quiz contains only "true/false" questions, but I have checked with another Storyline quiz with different types of questions, and whatever the question type is, latency is never set.

Although, notice we have identified another bug but which is specific to "true/false" questions, and which exists both for Storyline and Quizmaker.

When you create a true/false question, by default the labels displayed to the user are "true" and "false".

When the user clicks "true" ("false"), the property cmi.interaction.N.learner_response is set to "true" ("false"). Correct.

But we are in France, so we translate the labels in "vrai" ("true") and "faux" ("false"). Then, whatever the user clics, "vrai" or "faux", the property cmi.interaction.N.learner_response is always set to "false". It sounds like the code is like :

if user answer = 'true'

learner_response = 'true'

else

learner_response =  'false'

and for use user answer is 'vrai' or 'faux".

So there are probably two bugs here. 

The first one is latency not set in Storyline. Not a big deal, but we would appreciate a fix.

The other one is true/false always return user_response as false, at least for non english speaking people. This one has a workaround, which is to use a multiple choice question, but a fix would also be appreciated, both for Storyline and Quizmaker.

Christine Hendrickson

Hi Matthew,

Welcome to E-Learning Heroes!

I was able to find the original ticket that was submitted to our Quality Assurance team. This issue is still under investigation at the moment and this thread has been provided in the ticket.

Any community members subscribed to this thread will receive notification once we have more information on this issue.

I have also requested an update, simply due to the age of the ticket. However, I cannot say how long it will take to get additional information or a fix for this issue at this time.

I do apologize for the delay. Hopefully we'll have more information on this soon!

Thank you very much,

Christine

Michael Spain

Christine, 

Just checking in to see the current status of this issue?

Latency is currently listed as something Storyline provides under SCORM 2004, but it is not being sent. Like others, I have tested this on SCORM Cloud, and cmi.interactions.n.latency just isn't there.

https://www.articulate.com/support/storyline/quiz-data-sent-to-an-lms-in-articulate-storyline

Everything else is working as expected, but our Training Department would like to know how long learners are spending staring in fear and loathing at specific questions. 

Thank you,

Michael

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi all,

I wanted to provide an update here, as Storyline 2 Update 11 was just released, and included a number of fixes which you can see in the release notes available here. The item you all may be particularly interested in is how it fixed an issue where the latency value would always be 0 for questions slides in LMS data.

You can download the latest update here, and after downloading and installing the latest update you’ll want to republish any existing content to ensure that the updates and fixes are applied.

Let us know if you have any questions, either here or by reaching out to our Support Engineers directly.

chiefy .

Hi,

Is the latency not-tracking correct a problem in SL3, and only fixed in SL2? I say that because SCORM Cloud is showing a latency value of 0. Weirdly, it's also showing the correct response as "no choice".

I've looked into the SCORM2004Functions.js, and written my own script to try make this work, but still no gravy.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Good news! We fixed the issue you reported where there were issues with zooming in/out while using an iOS device. 

Install the latest Storyline 360 update to take advantage of all the recent features and fixes. Here's how.  

If the problem happens again, please record a Peek 360 screencast for me, and I'll be happy to help! 

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.