Random closed-caption box appearing

Hello,

I've added closed captioning to my current development project and haven't had any issues until a co-worker noticed that during the timeline, a random closed caption box flashes on screen momentarily that is out of order. Have I set something up unknowingly to cause this to happen? What can I do to resolve this sudden, random flash of caption?

13 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi AA,

Thanks for sharing your file. I took a look and didn't see something that appeared out of order, but I did notice that you had built in items appearing on the slide timeline in addition to the closed captions you added in. Perhaps that's where the colleague was confused? If you had a specific closed caption that you saw not appear correctly could you let me know which one that is? 

A A

My colleagues had noticed, "You can actually pause the slide there and see both "and wants to be certain they understand" and "Asha, you recently..." at the same time. It also flashes in again briefly just before the "KCF's network has a lot of personal..." on screen text comes in." Also referenced, "quick flash of separate dialogue on the screen before Hannah says, "Hi, Jose, I understand you're in charge of..." "

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi AA,

I tried this again and even pausing it I didn't see it. Can you tell me if you're seeing it in a particular browser? Do you know if you're using Flash or HTML5 output (look at the end of the URL to see story_html5.html or story_flash.html)?

I published a copy to Articulate Review in case you wanted to take a look at this one.  I tried pausing, playing and toggling on and off the Closed Captions button. 

Alyssa Gomez

Ok good to know. Here are a few things you can try:

  1. Be sure you're on the latest update of Storyline 360. To check, click the Help tab, then click About Storyline. You should see 3.10.13923.0 in the bottom-right corner. 
  2. Double check that you're working from your local hard drive. If you're working from a shared network drive, copy the file to your local drive, then republish the file. 
  3. Delete the audio file that that has the errant closed caption, then re-import the audio file. 

Let me know how it goes!