Randomised Answers also Randomise Tabbing in 360

Apr 10, 2018

In Articulate Storyline 2 you use to be able to randomise answers on question slides and the tabbing would still move through the presented answers in the order they appeared. In 360 it seems that this functionality has been removed. If the answers are not randomised then tabbing is fine but if you randomise the answers the tabbing is all over the place. Can we put the functionality that 2 did so well back into 360? Without it we will need to stop all randomisation so we can meet accessibility requirements (which is not optional in our organisation).

32 Replies
William Beardsley

I have tried this in a converted file as well as in a newly created file in Articulate 360. The results for me are the same. My converted story file is a little large to send but I can send a portion of it showing the issue. Conversely can you create a question slide yourself and test the results. It would be interesting to see if the same thing happens for you.

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi William,

If you're able to share a sample or a striped down version of your final product that'll help with our testing! We can confirm then that we're using the same settings and have designed the on slide elements the same way.

If you're unable to share here in ELH, we'd happily accept a .story project shared here privately if that works better! Also, can you take a Peek of the problem? The more information the better for tracking this down. 

William Beardsley

Ok, I've attached a .story file where I recreated the situation. the first slide has the answers randomised and the second slide does not. The first one tabs through the answer options randomly but the second tabs in order of appearance (as it should). This same setup in Storyline 2 would have tabbed in order regardless of the randomisation.

Also, here is a peek at one of the questions in my course showing the differnece in tabbing between random and non-random answers.

https://360.articulate.com/review/content/51bd3f4c-7386-487f-a43b-04c8e5f30602/review

Crystal Horn

Hi there, William. I completely understand, and we'll work to monitor and prioritize this issue for our development team.  Here's some specifics on how we tackle bugs.

Can you let me know what browser you're using and whether Flash Player is enabled?  This site is really great at quickly gathering those details: http://supportally.com/

Here's my Flash-only output.  The answer choices are shuffled (as indicated by the numbers at the end of each one), but my tabbing cycles through the choices top to bottom.  This is what you'll hopefully see:

William Beardsley

Browser and flash details:

Operating System
Windows 7 / Server 2008 R2 64-bit
Browser
IE 11.0
IP Address
202.86.33.38, 175.45.116.64
Flash Version
Cookies Enabled
Yes
Screen Size
2560 x 1600
Browser Size
1197 x 705
JavaScript Enabled
Yes
User Agent
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; Trident/7.0; SLCC2; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET CLR 3.0.30729; .NET4.0C; .NET4.0E; rv:11.0) like Gecko

William Beardsley

I tested your link in IE11 and yes, it does tab in order from top to bottom.

The contents of this email message and any attachments are intended only for the addressee and may be confidential, private or the subject of copyright. If you have received this email in error please notify Brisbane City Council, by replying to the sender or calling +61 7 3403 8888, and delete all copies of the e-mail and any attachments.

William Beardsley

Thanks for getting back to me. I presume that you know that Adobe Flash will no longer be supported as of the end of 2020 which means that organisations like ours need to start very soon on converting our Flash courses to HTML 5. The problem with doing that for us at this stage are issue like the one here where HTML 5 does not operate correctly and forces us to either flatten our interactivity (by removing things like the randomisation of answer options)  or remain with Flash with the potential that we will run out of time to convert our content. Surely you have more detailed plans and time frames around these issues than just 'having it on your radar'. Is there someone we can talk to in order to escalate this issue and get more details?

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.