Reset to initial state

Apr 01, 2017

Hi,

I have motion line animation of an image moving and the slide set to 'reset to initial state' so when the user goes back in they can see it happening again. However when they do revisit you see the slide reset itself - there's a split second when you go to that slide and see the old saved state and then see it reset the state - which gives a very glitchy appearance. Is there any way to avoid this?

17 Replies
Alyssa Gomez

Hi there Barry!

Thanks for reaching out! I put together a quick sample file, and I'm not seeing a split second glitch when I return to the slide with the motion path. Here's the published version in Flash and HTML5, if you'd like to take a look. I created this file in Storyline 2 also tested it in Storyline 360, and I got the same results in both versions.

Can you take a look at the file I attached and compare it to your file? Do you notice any difference in the triggers or the slide properties? I'd be happy to take a look at your file, if you don't mind sharing it with me. You can attach it here in the thread by using the ADD ATTACHMENT button, or you can send it directly to our Support Engineers here if you’d prefer to send it privately.

Barry Langton

Hi Alyssa,

Thanks for taking the time to create a file. Yeah your file works fine. Problem I seem to have is it I try and do something a touch more complicated. I have a sequence of slides that play through then go back to the menu at the start and you can play them through again. First time they play fine, second time the screen glitches. You can , hopefully, see it here:

http://nissarana.com/drawingportal/test/story_html5.html

Press 'next' on the first screen, then just watch the sequence play through until it gets back to that first screen again. All is smooth. then clcik 'next' a second time and towards teh end of the sequence there's a glitch.

Any reason why?

The .story file is attached - maybe it's something stupid I've done.

Any help would be great, I've got loads of these sequences and each sequence has about 20 pages, most of which glitch after the first run through.

It's driving me mad :)

Thanks

Barry

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Barry,

I took a look at your course that you shared the link too (thanks!) and I don't see any glitch- or at least not as you're describing. So I recorded a quick Peek of what I'm seeing to help narrow it down - you'll notice I click forwards and back, and by the time I recorded this it was about my 3 or 4th time through your slides so I made sure it didn't happen even just beyond the 2nd time through. Can you give that a watch and let me know what I'm missing? 

It's also worth checking what browser you're using. I saw you were pointing to the HTML5 output, so you'll want to make sure you're using a supported browser as well and you can see those for Storyline 2 documented here. 

Barry Langton

Hi Ashley,

This should be easier to spot:

http://nissarana.com/drawingportal/v29/story_html5.html

If you click on 'getting started' there are 5 menu items each of which play a simulation. All of them show the glitchyness. If you play any one of them through once it's fine. Go back in after it has play all the way through and the simulation isn't as smooth. you can flickers in between slides. It happens in the latest chrome, IE, edge and firefox browsers.

You don't have to use the back button to reproduce it - play through a section once then play through it again.

Thanks

Barry

Leslie McKerchie

Hi Barry - I took a look at your published output, and utilizing your link I was able to see the behavior, but it was due to my browser.  We recommend sharing the story.html file and viewing in a supported browser as Ashley shared above. I do not see the same behavior when I access your file via http://nissarana.com/drawingportal/v29/story.html 

Does this work better for you as well? If not, please let me know the browser you are utilizing so that I can replicate and get this reported if needed.

Barry Langton

Hi Leslie,

Yes I know the flash version works, when you access the story.html it will normally bring up the flash version. But the fault is with the html5 version. If the end user is only able to access the html5 version then they will see this behaviour which must be a bug in stroyline? Don't you think? Storyline is suppose to support html5. It's not the browser, the browser (tested in multiple browsers) all work first time round, then second time do not. It's due to storyline surely? It is a bug, is it not? 

Thanks for your help

Barry

Barry Langton

Thanks Walt, I tried it out, it didn't make any difference but it's very useful to know about.

Leslie, so it is a bug, the way storyline displays html5 isn't that great in this scenario is it?

I do understand about the different versions, but the look and feel should be pretty much consistent across all (including HTML5). In this situation there is a big issue with the html 5 version.

I'm trialing storyline at the moment and just trying to understand how it works - it seems like it's not particularly good at html5, would that be fair to say?

Thanks

Barry

Leslie McKerchie

Based on the article that Ashley shared above, our support for HTML5 is in the following browsers:

Windows: Google Chrome (latest version)

Mac: Safari 7 and later, Google Chrome (latest version)

Mobile: Safari in Apple iOS 7 and later, Google Chrome (latest version) in Android OS 4.1 and later

I published your course here and viewed in both Chrome and Safari and I'm not seeing the glitching you describe in your course.

Do you have a screen capture software where you can better show us what you are seeing? If you need to work directly with support, you are welcome to do so here as we may need to dive a bit deeper to better understand.

Barry Langton

Hey Leslie, she did replicate it, at least I can see it but I seem to be the only person who does!

The screen goes blank for a split second some times which it doesn't do the first time you play the sequence through:

Can nobody else see it?

http://eloisagarcia.articulatetest.com/SF01053464/TestHTML5View%20-%20Storyline%20output/story_html5.html

Thanks

Barry

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.