responsive playback restrictions not working (articulate 360)

May 03, 2018

Hi and hello,

we are struggling with a problem about the responsive playback. We just upgraded our courses from storyline 2 to 360 and had some issues with that. But the most frustrating one is that the restrictions that we insert (landscape only) just won't work. Neither the note appears (please rotate your device) nor the restriction is working at all.

In addition to that we recognized that if you rotate the device twice (portrait - landscape - portrait, or the other way round) the slides won't fit the screen anymore (but they do as long as u don't rotate the device).

This problem is appearing in all our courses so that we just can't use the function (and have to get along with the fact the slides won't fit anymore if u rotate the device).

Did someone experienced something similar? We can't believe that we are the only ones having that problem.

13 Replies
Alyssa Gomez

Hi Christiane,

Sorry you're running into trouble--you came to the right place for help!

It sounds like the landscape-only restriction isn't working correctly for you. Are you on the latest update of Storyline 360? To check, click the Help tab, then click About Storyline. You should see 3.15.15581.0 in the bottom-right corner. 

If not, go ahead and update your software, and let me know if you see an improvement. I'm the meantime, I'll do some more testing on the issue you saw when rotating the device twice. 

Keep me posted!

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Christiane,

This is a sample file that has "Landscape Only" playback restrictions for tablets and mobile devices. I've hosted it on a web server and on a LMS so you can test the output in both environments.

Please give both of those links a test on your devices, and let me know if you see the "please rotate your device" message in Portrait mode. Thanks!

Carly Price

Hello,

I am having the same problem with my current course - the responsive playback selections are not working. I'd like my course to view only in landscape on mobile, since the portrait view has overlapping content and is unreadable. However, even when I enable the landscape only setting, I'm still seeing the course in both views on my mobile device (iphone SE). I do not see the 'please rotate your device' message. 

I tried testing your links above, Alyssa, but they won't even load on my mobile device. It just stalls. 

Carly Price

Ah - I figured out the solution - this feature does not work when your course is uploaded to Articulate 360. However it DOES work when uploaded to a web server. I did a quick test by uploading the files onto my own website, and it worked! The 'please rotate your device' message is now displaying in portrait view.

See test link here (it's just a one slide test)

http://carlywprice.com/test/landscape-only-test/story_html5.html

Jessica Angove

In addition to that we recognized that if you rotate the device twice (portrait - landscape - portrait, or the other way round) the slides won't fit the screen anymore (but they do as long as u don't rotate the device).

This problem is appearing in all our courses so that we just can't use the function (and have to get along with the fact the slides won't fit anymore if u rotate the device).

Curious if there was ever a solution for this issue? I am experiencing this exact issue within my LMS. Any insight would be appreciated!

Leslie McKerchie

Hey Jessica,

Thanks for reaching out and letting us know that you are experiencing a similar issue in your LMS as well.

It looks like the issue was specific to the users LMS above. Have you tested your content in SCORM Cloud to see if it's working as expected for you there?

I do not have an update to share from Christiane if that's what you were looking for, but if you do not hear back from here soon, you are welcome to reach out directly here.

Alyssa Gomez

Hey Jessica!

Are you on the latest update of Storyline 360? To check, click the Help tab, then click About Storyline. You should see 3.17.16188.0 in the bottom-right corner. 

I tested this in the latest update of Storyline using an iPhone iOS 11.4 with Safari, and I didn't notice any issues when rotating the device. Here's a screen recording of my testing. 

Could you also test this link on your device and let me know if you see any issues when rotating from portrait to landscape? 

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.