Responsive Web Design

Apr 24, 2013

I read an article about Responsive Web Design. Design your web content for multiple devices and platforms. WOOOAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH great solution.

I am wondering if Storyline is suitable for RWD? 

13 Replies
Peter Faulhaber

Hi all,

Still looking for an answer!!!

It is like the eg the Shell internetsit. If you open it on a PC, tablet or Smartphone it looks different. Even the pictures are not the same size and they rescale.

What I learn so far is that you have different HTML and CSS files for PC, Smartphone and tablets. But Storyline makes SWF files and I can not edit these files.

For video I use Jave useragent calls to detemine the device and to play which video format.

John Curran

Peter,

Surprised you didn't get an answer from the Storyline team but Storyline is not a responsive design tool. A number of UK e-learning companies are working on responsive 'frameworks' that will be suitable for e-learning development but it's unlikely there will be an easy to use authoring tool anytime soon. If you are interested you can join the Google+ community that has been set-up around Kineo's Adapt framework. The plan is to make that framework open source but it's early days yet. 

https://plus.google.com/communities/115515081268344997124

I'm planning to use responsive designs in the future but for the time being Storyline is great for most applications apart from smartphones.

John

J Cheng

We'd love to hear your thoughts on Responsive Web Design.  Please discuss here: 

http://community.articulate.com/forums/p/42367/229338.aspx

J Cheng said:

I have a few questions around Responsive Design:

• How do you and your viewers expect "responsive web design" to work?
  • What use cases do you envision?
  • Would filling full screen on a tablet or phone with a collapsable menu (aka hamburger) for the player menu work or are you envisioning something like this:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjXZ5mxtggE  
  • If the latter, what would the course author workflow look like on a fixed stage in a desktop tool?

Thanks!

Julian

Philip Varghese

I am thinking from a practical point of view.

A phone or a small tablet is not suitable for interactive eLearning. >> not enough screen "real estate"

Maybe for passive reading, a small gadget is ok.

There is a marked difference between casual browsing and active learning.

We also have to look at the audience or target group.

The demographics of the "learning population" is changing i.e. more elderly people getting involved.

I am not totally dismissing RWD for the eLearning environment. Its still a long way off in the horizon.

Safer to observe how well it will be received in the browser market.

Immediate concern: Before moving to RWD, I like to see an app, similar to the iPad app, developed for Android tablets.

There's a lot of "learning class" people with Android tablets out there.

Still Wondering

Oh, that's interesting reading. Thank you for the link, Ashley Terwilliger.

Brief summary:

Page 5 summarizes Adobe's solution as requiring editing by content author for each device; page 7 summarizes Articulate's solution as not requiring editing by content author because the course screen size is simply scaled down (mobile player revamp means more screen real estate is available for course). This funtionality is being created now - launch date is not stated.

Also, Articulate will launch web based tool for creating web-based courses (i.e. not slide-based); it's to be launched this year.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.