Responsive web design

Jan 10, 2014

Has anyone found a way to use Storyline to create responsive web design courses? We are having to design for mobile now, and need a solution that will work as a framework for responsive design.

I think this must be a burning issue for many people here. Have you had to leave Storyline  for another tool for this reason?

Thanks for any insight or solutions you may have found.

Karen

39 Replies
Joe Molnar

The main issue of Captivate 8 is opening files on different computers, this does cause far too many issues and I would recommend using the one computer for any project you're working on.

But as for limitations, with a combination of tools that adobe have that ceiling is pretty high and for most users not an issue. JavaScript is easily incorporated and external animations easily implemented.

I am by no means completely sold on Captivate, and confused as to why other web based Adobe products have a much better responsive interface, such as Edge Reflow. Hopefully we will see a responsive option with Storyline soon, perhaps they will do a better job, but until then unless you can create the code yourself in CSS, Captivate may be the only viable responsive option for now.  

Jerson  Campos

Interesting read and I'm glad to get a sneak peak at Articulate's plans for mobile learning.  I do have a couple of issues though.

I'm glad you are attempting to make it easier for the authors to create content for mobile devices, but I don't agree with your philosophy about trying to take the people out and leaving it up to technology .

"If we rely on people, rather than technology, to solve the issue
of multi-device e-learning, we undermine the very benefits of
e-learning: its scalability, cost-effectiveness, and speed
of deployment."

Technology will not solve the design problem,  that is still something the developers will have to solve on their own.  It is easy to search UI/UX design recommendations for mobile devices.  While there is a variety of recommendations, they all give the same basic advice about text, button sizes, interactions, and a variety of other information. 

Your example about the person pointing at a map isn't really very accurate. On a responsive website the map wouldn't move above the person's head, instead the picture would change or zoom in to the area of interest. While this may seem minor, someone with UI design experience for mobile devices would make decisions like this to make there that the content that should be focused on stays in focus.

While current web technology does do a lot of the lifting, there is still a lot of thought that goes into the design process for creating a mobile friendly site before any code is even created and that same thought should go into creating learning for mobile devices. There is no "one size fits all" to this.  I like that the player will go away and be replaced by something more friendly for mobile devices. But just shrinking the slides down isn't responsive design, it''s just making the same stuff smaller.

Your proposed changes is a step forward to creating more mobile friendly designs easier for the average users, but I'm afraid it could lead to the same frustrations when trying to create GOOD mobile designs that many had when using Cap 8 responsive design features. If I bought a stethoscope, it wouldn't automatically make me a doctor, and being able to publish to mobile devices doesn't make me a mobile designer.

Stimpson Cat

I think for devices from desktops to tablets, the scaling Storyline model will work OK. But scaling courses down to a smartphone sized screen - that's not going to work well. In the example iPhone course in the white paper, the elements will be too small to read. You'll need a separate version for smartphones.

It's interesting to see mentioned a web-based authoring tool for responsive web-based courses is in development. A competitor for Adapt? I wonder if this will integrate with Storyline?

Jeff Fraler

RapidIntake's Litmos Author pushes mobile devices to Jquery mobile, and it works well. You can download a trial here: https://trials.litmosauthor.com/signup/litmosAuthor/ 

The built-in features are limited when compared to Storyline or Captivate, however, if you're looking to present content, assess, and add some minor interactivity that's acceptable on mobile, it's not terrible. 

Sam Barbee

Multi-device enabled learning that is easy to build, deploy and maintain is a must have now.  Adapt is able to deliver this and solves the page turning issue by delivering deep scrolling exploratory experience that is more attune with the modern web.

Learning Pool has developed an easy to use web builder for Adapt content and if you'd like to take a look here are some videos.

I'd be happy to discuss with anyone that wants to know more about it.

Cheers

maxime favero

New articulate is doing responsive apparently.
I did my first webApp with storyline design.. I took the choice to do 4:3, with the minimum size of pattern..
Anyway, a trick, if your course is short, do 2 course, one in 4:3, and one in 16:9..then you say in your html page, to identify the media and the size of the screen, then the navigator detect it and send you on good version!!
it is not responsive, but kind of adaptive ^^

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.