Restricted Navigation in Storyline

Jan 29, 2013

Hi All,

In Studio, "restricted" navigation does the following:

1. prevents learner from clicking ahead using either advance button or navigation panel

2. allows learner to visit previous slides using either previous button or navigation panel

3. allows learner to to advance to "already visited" slides using advance button or navigation panel

In Storyline, "restricted" navigation does the following:

1. prevents learner from clicking ahead using either NEXT button or navigation panel

2. allows learner to visit previous slides using either PREV button or navigation panel

3. allows learner to to advance to "already visited" slides using navigation panel

HOWEVER,

For the life of me, I can't get it to allow me to advance to "already visited" slides using the NEXT button.

a) if I don't have a player trigger that says advance to next slide when learner clicks on NEXT then the NEXT button doesn't work ever

b) If I do have a player trigger that says advance to next slide when learner clicks on NEXT then it overrides "restricted" and allows the user to advance ahead even to "not already visited" slides

Are there any super-geniuses out there that know how to get the NEXT button to work in "restricted" mode but only when the learner visits an "already visited" slide...like in Studio?

This is a government requirement we're trying to comply with so it's kind of important to us.

Thanks in advance!

7 Replies
Christine Hendrickson

Hi Keith!

Without looking at the file, I can't be sure, but I think this may be due to the settings for revisiting the slides. Can you take a look and see what options you're using for revisiting? If it's resetting, or set to automatic, this may be the issue. If you select "resume saved state" perhaps that will fix this for you. 

If the file contains any confidential information, you can remove it or block it out and upload it here so I can take a look. Or, you're welcome to send it to us privately

Thanks!

Christine Hendrickson

Good morning Keith,

Hmm. I would think setting it to resume the saved state, or even automatically deciding would allow you to continue, once the slide has been reviewed. You could try using a True/False variable and triggering the course to allow the use of the Next button when that variable for the slide is True. 

Are you able to share the file here, or a modified version (you can remove or block any confidential information you don't want to share here), so I can take a look and provide some suggestions? I totally understand if you don't want to share the project there, though, and as I mentioned earlier you're welcome to send it to us privately

Thanks again Keith,

Christine

Lara McKinnon

Yes I have Storyline Update 4.  I need to restrict navigation so that the user must view the whole slide before moving to the next slide.  This is for compliance training and the client wants them to see the entire slide. 

The default setting in the Player for restricted would be perfect as it allows you to review previously viewed slides, if it were not for the override of the default navigation with the Next button on the slide!

I tried a True/False variable, but it had limited impact as I was unable to copy/paste it successfully into a new section.  Is there an entire project variable I can use?  Do I just need to bite the bullet and create 66 variables for each slide and then modify the condition on the next button for all 66 triggers?  What slide properties are suggested so that they can go back and review slides?

Ashley, your prompt response to my initial question is appreciated, and I look forward to your suggestions.

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Lara,

Sorry to have missed this on Friday, but if you'd like to restrict the navigation based on when the user sees the whole slide you could set up the slide to advance automatically (instead of by user) or by disabling the next button until all elements have been interacted with (yes, it would involve resetting a variable and triggering it based on conditions, or having a new variable for each slide)

Additionally, in regards to how restricted navigation works, I wanted to point you to this tutorial:

• Restricted: This means learners can view the current slide and any slide they've previously viewed, but they can't use the menu to jump ahead or skip over slides.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.