Restricting Navigation

Aug 02, 2018

I've reviewed and attempted to use the "restricted" navigation functionality but am not seeing it work on the Next button. The documentation says "Restricted means learners can view the current slide and any slide they previously viewed, but they can't jump ahead or skip over slides." This locks the menu as expected, I can visit any previously visited slides in any order (go back and jump ahead) but cannot advance past the furthest slide I've viewed. However, the Next button does not seem to respect this functionality.

When I select the checkbox to Restrict Next / Previous Buttons (below the Restricted option in the player settings) the Next button is always restricted. If I use the Menu or Previous button to go back to slides I've already viewed the slide must play completely again before the Next button is available. However, I can use the Menu to move forward to a previously visited slide, without waiting for the slide to complete, and the Menu is also restricted.

I would expect the Next button to always be available on a slide that has been previously viewed/completed when it is being restricted like the menu. I realize I can create screen variables to control all this but with 50+ slides that is rather time consuming. Am I missing something?

4 Replies
Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Bob,

It sounds like everything is set up correctly, but two other things I'd want to have you check: 

• Are you using Storyline 3 or Storyline 360? 
  • Also, what are the revisit settings for the slides, within your slide properties?

Let me know and we'll go from there! Also, if you'd like to share a copy of your .story file I can take a look at all those settings too. 

J Rixon

Hi guys, please can you help me? I'm having a nightmare with states when a user revisits a slide on the resumed state. I want users to be able to click on 5 documents within my course and they have to click a button to show they've completed each one (all 5 docs open into 5 different layers) but if they exit mid course and resume the course later, any of docs they've already viewed revert back to the initial slide state. I have tried many different things but keep getting the same result. I've attached my course below if you could kindly help me out? Thanks in advance Rix 

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.