Results slide...

Oct 21, 2013

Question about results slides please. We don't want to track quiz results per se, just that the learner completed the course. Company policy is that the learner clicks a hotspot as they leave the course, and we record their participation.

1. Can that hotspot be ON the results slide or must there be two?

2. We want the click on the hotspot to end the course, so how do I do that if I have to include a separate results slide?

Ideas please?

9 Replies
Andrew Sellon

Hi, Carrie!  If you have at least one quiz question, you of course wouldn't need the learner to click on a hotspot at all, just set your reporting type to "Complete/Incomplete" and on the Tracking tab, choose "Track using quiz result" and select your quiz results slide.  That way, completion would be recorded, but not a score.  

Given that, I'm assuming you don't have any quiz questions, since you say the hotspot is what must send the completion status back to your LMS.  I don't know of a way you could do it all on one slide, as I think you'd have to create a hotspot question slide so that you could track completion based on that "question's" subsequent results slide.  As you know, Storyline can only track based on either on the slides viewed, or on a results slide.  So, strictly speaking, if you want to report completion to your LMS, I don't think clicking the hotspot can be the last action the learner takes in the course.

Here's what I've done at the end of a course in that situation:

• Add a hotspot question slide (where the whole slide is one big hotspot, so they can't possibly get it "wrong"!).  The slide can have whatever text/image content you want as part of your course.  
  • On that hotspot slide, include a button that reads "Confirm Completion" (or "Click to Continue" or whatever), and include a sentence instructing the learner to click the button.  (They will actually be clicking the giant hotspot.) 
  • Add a results slide, and instead of displaying any score/results on that slide, use it as your closing "Thank You" message, congratulating the learner on completing the module and thanking them for their time.  On the back end, you can use that disguised results slide to validate that they got the "question" right by clicking the hotspot, and report back "Completed" to the client's LMS.  That way, you get the results slide you need to track and report the completion status, without looking like you've added unnecessary content to the course.  

Regards,

Andrew

Carrie Eaton

Thanks, Andrew. What you suggested is what I thought, too, i.e. make the 'results' slide just be the good-bye screen. In current courses, we end on that hotspot screen, but we can modify that a bit.  My basic question was whether I could put  both on one screen....and doesn't sound like it!

Appreciate the help!

Andrew Sellon

My pleasure, Carrie!  Maybe one of the Articulate folks or a Super Hero will tell us there's a way to do it all on one slide.  If so, that would be good to know!  But with the current functionality, I don't see how it would be possible to do in less than two slides.

When you say your current courses end on the hotspot screen, are they built in something other than Storyline, then?  Or have you been tracking by slides touched rather than quiz results?

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.