Resume saved state not working

Jan 30, 2018

I create a very simple story line with 5 slides. For each of them, I set "when visiting" to "resume saved state". My expectation is that if users go to slide 3 and close the course window, then if they launch the course afterward, the course window should show them slide 3 instead of slide 1. I wonder if this is the correct behavior of "resume saved state"?

However, when I publish my story line to SCORM 2004 4th format and upload it to scorm.com to test, using a free account, the behavior is weird:

1. When I go to slide 3 and quit, then launch the course again, it shows slide 1

2. When I go to slide 4 and quit, then launch the course again, it shows the message "would you like to resume where you left off?" If I say "yes", then slide 4 will be displayed.

3. If I go to slide 3 and quit, and launch the course again, it shows the message "would you like to resume where you left off?" If I say "yes", then slide 4 will be displayed instead of slide 3.

I wonder if I'm doing anything wrong? Please find attached the test story line.

I also check some other similar posts in this forum (Resume Saved State NOT working) and none of them helps.

Thanks for your help.

35 Replies
Crystal Horn

Hi there, Marilyn. When you exit a course and then return to it with those resume settings, it will return to the beginning of the slide where you exited. Does that match what you see?

Can you have the layer show and then have the learner jump to a new slide so that layer will be in place should they navigate back?

Laurie McLean

Thank you Ashley for the link to the article about resume data limitations. I think that is what I'm hitting with my new course. I had it published in SCORM 1.2 and on resume, it was always returning to a page I hit earlier in the first session. It does this in both Scorm Cloud and our Oracle LMS. I'm going to try publishing to SCORM 2004 and hope it will use one of the later versions. Articulate doesn't give me a choice of different versions that I can see. It looks like if the 64000 character limit is still not enough, I'll have to break the course up into a series of separate courses.

Masia Goodman

I'm running into a similar issue when I publish to "Web" and then upload to Thinkific.

We're running a simulation where learners have to learn about a problem from multiple sources (in the "Shop Floor" section) then organize what they've learned into some provided worksheets. In 360 review, someone can go from shop floor to worksheets no problem. Everything saves. But when it's embedded in Thinkific and they click to a different lesson, all the text fields go blank. 

I've set this slide and all layers to "Resume saved state" to no avail. And the tracking methods are irrelevant since I'm publishing to web.  

Any ideas how to help students save their work within an SL module embedded within Thinkific? 

Here it is a sample in 360 review: https://360.articulate.com/review/content/901eeb83-a7b5-4d01-aedd-45fd6dc981d5/review 

And here's the source file (for this sample section):