Running Storyline 2 and Storyline 360 on the same PC?

Oct 26, 2017

I've done a search and can't find it confirmed anywhere, but I just wanted to check if I can run SL2 and SL360 on the same PC?  I am working on SL2 for some clients who still use SL2 but want to start doing some work in SL360. Just want to check if I have both on the same laptop it won't cause any compatability problems. (I know not to open my SL2 files with SL360 otherwise it will convert them).

Thanks

10 Replies
Walt Hamilton

Not a problem. You can even run them at the same time, and you can run multiple versions of each of them at the same time.  This is something that Articulate really got right.

The only problem is that Windows only allows one program to be the default for a given type of file, so you can't double click the .story file to open them.

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Anne,

I run all versions of Storyline on one computer (Storyline 1, 2, 3, and 360)! As Walt mentioned, the .story files will default to opening in the latest installed version (which for me in Storyline 360 after the most recent update). So if you need to open in an earlier version here's what I suggest:

• Open the Storyline version you need
  • Browse to your files
  • Choose the .story file you'd like to open in Storyline 

That will save you some steps if you just try to open the .story file and see the message "This was created in an earlier version of Articulate Storyline..."

Let us know if you need anything else! 

Hi Thomas,

You can't run Storyline 2 and Storyline 360 with the same serial number as they're different products and purchases. Your current serial number is for Storyline 2 only, and our Sales team is happy to walk you through the pricing options for Articulate 360. 

Take a look at the trial of Articulate 360 here! You'll need to log in with your Articulate ID to get started and that's how we'd validate your subscription as well!

Luckily Storyline 1, 2 3, and Storyline 360 can all be installed and running on the same machine. Keep in mind the icon for any .story files will appear as the latest install, but you can always open the file directly from inside the Storyline version too. 

Thomas Croteau

Thx for your reply, Ashley. I spoke with Leigh-Ann from Articulate yesterday and she conveyed there is no longer an opportunity to upgrade to 360 from SL2 so the 4 seats of 360 I need will actually be net-new purchases with new serial numbers. So I can still run SL2 with its SN and 360 with with a new SN.

I'm looking forward to working with 360. :-)

Thx again, Ashley.

Hi Gulch,

Absolutely. Your Storyline 2 license remains intact and you can run both applications on the same computer. You'll want to keep in mind that all .story files will open in the latest install by default, so if you need to open a Storyline 2 file I'd suggest opening Storyline 2 directly and then browsing to the file you'd like to use. 

Also, anything created in Storyline 360 can't be opened or edited in an earlier version of Storyline.

Leslie McKerchie

Hi Sandie,

You can certainly do that.

2.4. License Limitations. You may activate the Services on up to two desktop devices and up to two mobile devices at a time (maximum four total activations), provided that these activations are associated with the same Articulate ID. However, the Services may not be used simultaneously on these devices.

You can find our full Terms of Service here.

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.