Screencast help

Feb 11, 2021

Hello, I need further guidance.  I recorded a system screencast for a training class.  Users will access the screencast and click on buttons and type information while navigating the system proprietary software to "test" their knowledge on how to use the software.  Unfortunately, when I previewed the slides and attempted to type in the details (Johnny Lope - slide 1.2; credit card number 5555555555555555 1.4; and 0525 in slide 1.6) the information did not display and the "try again" layer kept displaying.  Not sure what I'm doing wrong - could you help me?  Thank you, Kellie 

6 Replies
Maria Costa-Stienstra

Hi, Kellie,

Thank you for sharing your .story file! 

I noticed that you used the "Shortcut-Key" type of freeform question as your input type. Your learner will only be able to move forward if they type the exact key.

If you want them to type a full name or a credit card number, the best option is to change the freeform type to Text Entry. You can do this by clicking on Insert > Remove Freeform Slide, then clicking on Convert to Freeform Slide.

Screen Recording 2021-02-12 at 12.59.09 PM

You can then move the text entry box to match the location of the one on your screencast.

Let me know if this works!

Kellie Whitlow

Morning Maria, I had a follow-up question on one slide (1.2).  The client would like the user to type in the student number (12345678) in the Student Number field and then if the number is typed correctly in the field, then the slide automatically moves to the next slide (without having to click the Next button or Submit button).  If not typed correctly, then the "Try Again" button displays to retype the number.  Is that possible? 

Maria Costa-Stienstra

Hi, Kellie,

Thank you for reaching back!

My suggestions for your project would be the following:

• Add a trigger to show the Try Again layer when the TextEntry object loses focus if the value is different than 12345678 and not blank. 

Windows 10 (1) 2021-02-22 at 11.23.26 AM

• A second trigger should be added to send the user to the second slide when the value equals 12345678

Windows 10 (1) 2021-02-22 at 11.30.51 AM

• On your Try Again layer, you should add a trigger to clear the value of TextEntry when the TryAgain button is clicked; otherwise, it will create a loop where the value is always wrong, therefore showing the layer over and over. 

Windows 10 (1) 2021-02-22 at 11.33.43 AM

In this scenario, the user would still need to either click somewhere on the slide or press the tab key, before the textEntry variable recognizes the data.

I am attaching the edited .story file with my suggestions. Let me know if you have additional questions!