Screenr

Sep 17, 2013

Hi - I'm trying to create my first Screenr. I was prompted to download Java, which I did (although I thought I already had it). I've gone back to Screenr and it is still telling me it can't detect Java. Anyone know why this might be and what I should do?

Thanks

Ann

14 Replies
Ann Evans

Hi Ashley,

I have - my usual browser is Firefox, but I have now tried in IE and Chrome and get the same problem. I have checked several times with the Java website - it tests and says I have it installed and the plug ins show up when I look at "Manage add-ons" in the Tools menu. The only thing I have found that might be a problem is in Firefox (but not IE) which shows that the Java Deployment Toolkit has been de-activated (and can't be re-activated) because it has been blocked by Firefox (as of July 2013). I haven't found this add-on in IE. No idea whether that is causing the issue or not....

Any ideas? I've run out....

Thanks

Ann

Daniel Brigham

This may not do a damned thing, but if this were happening to me, I might delete firefox or whatever off my computer and download a fresh version. Anyway, just a thought.

Are you a Mac by chance? Something similiar happened to me awhile back and I forget exactly what I did but I did something to get around this.

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Ann,

If Daniel's correct about the Mac part ( I'm on a PC, so no way for me to test) you may want to review this article from the Screenr site about using it within a Mac OS. The part about Firefox ( Firefox: Java is disabled in Firefox by default. You must activate Java each time you access a site or you can choose to always activate Java for a specific site. For more information, please see How to Use Java if it's been blocked. If you still find that Java does not work in Firefox, follow the steps here to see if they resolve your issue.) seems especially relevant to part of your situation.  

Ann Evans

Hi Ashley and Daniel,

I'm on a PC, not a Mac. I did try updating Firefox, which didn't change anything. I haven't tried deleting and re-installing, but maybe that's the next thing. Although it's strange that the same problem arose with Chrome and IE...

Anyway, my work-around is to use a different computer (my partner's). Not very satisfactory, but I'll at least get this job done and will try some other things in due course.

Thanks both

Ann

Hi Ann,

I did a bit more searching through the forums to see if there was anyone else who had similar issues, and I came across this older thread with an answer from Christopher. He shares a site that will allow you to check if you're running multiple versions of Java and will clean up any redundancies which could be causing some of your issues. 

Ann Evans

Hi Ashley

The link on Christopher's post no longer works. I have now uninstalled Java and reinstalled and this hasn't solved the problem. I've given up now and will just use another computer for Screenr - I've just completed and published my first screencast with it, so at least I've achieved my objective for now.

One other question, however: I have published the new screencast via Twitter and Facebook. The Twitter one went out OK, but the Facebook one hasn't appeared in my timeline on Facebook. Am I supposed to do something else to put it there? Apologies if this is a rather basic question - I expect I've just missed something.

Thanks for your help.

Ann

Thanks for the update Ann, and sorry Christopher's link wouldn't work. 

In regards to Facebook posting of your Screenr's, I personally haven't ever done it - but you'll want to make sure that you've logged into Facebook through Screenr, and if it's like posting to Twitter there will be a window to enable to post to the site. You could also use the embed code to post it directly to your Facebook timeline. 

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.