Screenreader issues with link to URL in SL 360

Apr 12, 2019

I'm fairly new to SL 360 and trying to access its WCAG 2.0 AA compliance before deciding to purchase for the rest or my ID team. 

That said, I am having big issues with adding one or more links to a URL to a text object. For some reason, I cannot seem to trigger even a simple text link with JAWS 18 or NVDA screen-readers (SR), using the spacebar since SL announces the link as a button.

If I use a project (created by Samuel Apata) that I downloaded from the Challenge site, where the links are associated with images and the resources page, the links work fine. 

Am I missing some simple step when applying a URL trigger to plain text?

Also, after reading a related discussion  I tried adding hotspots too, but those dont appear in the tab order list, so SR user cant get to them.  Seems like that is something that is needed for WCAG 2.0 AA compliance too.

3 Replies
David Sprouse CU

Ok, I think I have found a solution to at least one of my issues.

Though an extra step, if I add another trigger to each link with the space key as a shortcut key, I can simulate what should be happening for the screen-reader user. 

My other issue has to do with multiple links in the same object and I haven't found and answer for that, regarding activating with a screen-reader.  It works fine for sighted users.

Crystal Horn

Hi there, David. We have two issues we are investigating related to what you're experiencing:

• JAWS is reading hyperlinks as buttons
  • Hyperlinks within a text box cannot be independently activated by the spacebar or enter key

I'm adding your discussion to our reports so I can keep you in the loop on these issues. Thank you for sharing your trigger solution! 

Lauren Connelly

Hi David! 

I'm happy to report back with an update regarding tabbing to hyperlinks in Storyline 360!

We just shipped Storyline 360 (Build 3.47.23871.0) today, and you'll see that included in this release are many accessibility features. Learners can now tab to hyperlinks in text boxes and activate them by pressing the Enter key. 

Make sure to update Storyline 360 in your Articulate 360 desktop app to check out all bug fixes and features included in this update!