Scrolling panel issues with 360

Dec 22, 2016

Has anyone had issue with scrolling panels in 360. I can't seem to scroll up or down to see whats wrong with the text.  Mine seem to either get stuck at the top or bottom, but i can't seem to scroll up or down to fix any text that is there. This worked just fin in Storyline 2. 

61 Replies
Gillian Lugg

Hi all, 

We are having the same issue with Engage encounters. There is so much white space below the final words in the encounter. The default browser for our organisation is IE, we do not have access to any other browsers. 

When will this be rectified? I notice this question was first posted 9 months ago. 

Cheers

Jill 

Gillian Lugg

Hi Articulate,

Sorry I posted my comment to the incorrect place.

Attached above is the Engage encounter I am having issues with. I have removed all other slides and our corporate content and just replaced it with Lorem text.

The issue is:
When the engage encounter requires the user to scroll to read the text it has all this white space below it. This only occurs in IE11, in Google Chrome it looks perfect.

Details: -

* We are publishing to LMS only

* The courses are built only on local drives

We are planning on rolling the new course out in the coming weeks so I would like to know how to rectify this issue please.

Many thanks

Jill

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
This email, and any attachments, may be confidential and also privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender and delete all copies of this transmission along with any attachments immediately. You should not copy or use it for any purpose, nor disclose its contents to any other person.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Salomé Desanges

Hi Leslie,

I work in SL 360 and I am experiencing the same problems with scrolling panels.

In IE there is still a large amount of blank space that appears below the text which allows one to keep scrolling. I imagine this bug is not fixed yet but I understood that it's better to let you know if we have the same problems.

I'll advise users to use Chrome.

Lizzie Angell

oh gosh I have this issue, my client will be sending this out to loads of users who all use IE - they DO NOT have access to Chrome - hey have locked down computers that they are not allowed to install new stuff on. So asking the client to change browsers makes us look incompetent!

I am already having to do some explaining and damage control over the white box around the light box layer from 360 - even my colleague seems to  be questioning my competency when I say I can't get rid of it and it is a bug.

Any further movement on this?

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Salomé and Lizzie, so sorry you're hitting this, too. 

Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge have a known issue displaying scrolling panels in HTML5 output. Both browsers often add extra padding to the bottom of scrolling panels so there can be a significant amount of blank space after your content.

Until Microsoft fixes the problem, you can avoid it by viewing the Flash version of your content or switching to another HTML5 browser, such as Google Chrome or Firefox.

Emerson Collins

Hi Leslie,

Placement of object with in the scrolling panel has been a major problem with us as well. Another issue I run in to, which is probably related to the same problem, large block of text objects and images shift with in the panel for no apparent reason. At times, when you drag-and-drop objects with in the panel, the panel moves instead of the objects.

What could be a big help is to be able to lock the iframe in place and still allow objects to be placed and re-positioned in the panel?

Using transparent objects as spacers tend to help keep objects in position. This is particularly useful at the end of the panel when last line is outside the panel border. Organizing the content outside the panel is a big help as well. 

Since we do a lot of step-by-step instructions with image support, scrolling panels have been an invaluable tool.  

Leslie McKerchie

Hi Chiranjib,

Not sure if you saw Alyssa's post above, but here are the details:

Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge have a known issue displaying scrolling panels in HTML5 output. Both browsers often add extra padding to the bottom of scrolling panels so there can be a significant amount of blank space after your content.

Until Microsoft fixes the problem, you can avoid it by viewing the Flash version of your content or switching to another HTML5 browser, such as Google Chrome or Firefox.

Note: You'll also see extra space at the end of scrolling panels in CD-published output since it relies on Internet Explorer.

Emerson Collins

Hi Leslie,

No I haven't seen Alyssa's post. Wonder why we didn't get a notification of the reply. We usually do.

Alyssia, thank you for your comments. The next time I work with panels, I'll keep your suggestion in mind. 

Leslie, the issue we are having is not an online browser issue, but a design issue within Storyline 360. However, it is good to know about the browser issues.

Thank you!

Chiranjib Bhowmick

Hi Leslie,

I have seen this article, but I fail to understand if Storyline 2 HTML5 output does not have any issue displaying scrolling panels in Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge then why this is an issue with the HTML5 output from SL 360. Does it hold good to conclude that this is an issue with the browsers. I understand we have upgraded the version to give a better and robust experience, not the other way round.

Crystal Horn

Hi there, Chiranjib.  You mentioned viewing HTML5 output from Storyline 2 in IE and Edge.  I just wanted to clarify that IE and Edge are not supported browsers for Storyline 2's HTML5 output.  We wouldn't be able to account for inconsistency that you'd find viewing SL2 HTML5 output in either IE or Edge.

Alyssa Gomez

Hi Alex!

That extra space you're seeing is a result of an issue in Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge, not Storyline. 

Until Microsoft fixes the problem, you can avoid seeing the extra space at the bottom of scrolling panels by viewing the Flash version of your content or switching to another HTML5 browser, such as Google Chrome or Firefox.