Search function not working consistently

I love that Storyline has the search function option, but this is the first time I'm using it and it seems to be working pretty inconsistently. The client was using it to search for things and it was working fine until she tried searching for a different phrase and it stopped working. That phrase is the title of a page and is used on other pages. I tried it out a few times this morning and couldn't get it to work at all at first. After searching for a word that was on the first slide, it's like the search function woke up and started working perfectly. I've tried a number of times and find that it works very inconsistently. I can always get it to work eventually, but that's not a solution I can share with my client! 

I've tried searching on the forums and don't see a similar problem reported, so I was wondering if there's anyone out there that has dealt with this or has any ideas? Is this just a bug that I need to report?

7 Replies
Christie Pollick

Hi, Kristen -- Thanks so much for reaching out and welcome to the community!

May I if the published output is being tested in the environment where it will ultimately be accessed? And are you or your client noticing a difference when testing in various browsers (see here for details on supported browsers).

If issues persist, you may want to share your file so we can take a closer look. You would be able to do so via the ADD ATTACHMENT button in the bottom left of the reply box and you will be able to browse from there.  

Ashley Terwilliger-Pollard

Hi Kristen, 

I"m not sure from that video I'm clear on the issue you've run into as it seemed to search for the few items you mentioned. It will search all the slide text and the notes and display those titles to you to be able to click on and navigate to those slides. 

If you'd like to share your .story file here and some search terms that you've had difficulty with we're happy to take a look

Kristen Llobrera

Thanks, Christie! The content is currently on the web and will ultimately be in an LMS. It should work in both environments though, shouldn't it? I'm using the latest version of Chrome, but I'm not sure what our client was using.

I've submitted the file to the Storyline crew, but can't attach it here for proprietary reasons stipulated in our contract. 

Kristen Llobrera

Hi Ashley. The video may be a little hard to follow. I tried to narrate the issue, but the audio didn't really come through. The first time I tried to do a search on "Section" and nothing happened. I tried clicking "enter" and clicking on the search button, but nothing happened. When I entered another word, it suddenly worked. Then when I tried "section" again, it also worked. It seems to particularly dislike the word "section" because that's one of the most common words that seems to trip it up....

Christie Pollick

Hi, Kristen -- Thanks for your reply, and I see your case #00810722 has been received in our ticketing system! A member of our Support Engineering Staff will take a look shortly and will be able to provide some additional technical insights, so we'll be sure to follow along with their progress and will share relevant (non-confidential) updates here for others who may benefit. :)

Christie Pollick

Hi, Kristen -- Thanks for the update, and I see that you have replied within your case via email, but I will be sure to make a note on the ticket for good measure, as well. 

And for others who may be following along, here is what our Support Engineer last replied:

"Thank you for uploading your project file. We have reviewed your project file and we were able to duplicate your issue. I have submitted your case to our Quality Assurance team for their review. Unfortunately I was unable to determine a workaround aside from not using the word as a title in the new heading. I cannot offer a time frame for when or if this issue will be resolved."

Hope that helps and we'll keep you posted! :)