Since Storyline 360 Jan 21 2020 update layers with True/False variables and Change settings are being jumped.

Jan 22, 2020

Hi all. I have a ticket in with support on this and Ronaziel is having a look, but curious is others are having the problem and alerting you to watch for it.

Since the Storyline 360 update on Jan 21, 2020 I'm having issues with layer variables and triggers being ignored or bypassed. Any slides that have layers that each trigger a unique true/false variable to confirm visits to that layer, or that have instructions to change states of things like buttons as each layer is visited are all being bypassed in the new version.

In the preview or published versions of projects I test today (that worked properly in the previous version's previews and publishes yesterday) on any of the several pages of projects that use variables to control the order of reveal on layers, I now get jumped to the last of those several layers, as though the true/false settings were all ignored as true (in spite of even all being set to false by triggers as the slide's timeline starts), and all the buttons have changed state to gray as though they've all been visited, even though they weren't. Unfortunately, this breaks the trick we use most often in our navigation, ultimately breaking my courses. 

10 Replies
Alexandra Lagos

I'm having a very similar issue, also. Same as you, except that I'm using number variables (rather than true/false) with triggers, to show layers. They aren't working either. When triggered, jumps straight to the highest/last number variable value setting, skipping over the intervening ones.

Have you heard anything from Articulate Support yet?

I've also now submitted a ticket too...

Leslie McKerchie

Hi Ron

Thanks for contacting the support team and working with Ronaziel on this issue.

Hi Alexandra and welcome to E-Learning Heroes :)

To answer your question, it looks like Ron is still working with our team, so thank you for contacting them as well to share what you are running into and I can see that you're currently working with Peter.

Ron Ross

Hey, Alexandra.

My supervisor tried a numeric variable variant when we started having troubles and yes, his had these similar issues with his version of our module.

I'm sorry to note that support thinks there is no issue here -- that the triggers are merely out of order. As they are conditional true/false issues in my module I can't imagine that would change the issue. Both my supervisor and I have backloaded the previous version into computers until the dust settles on this, because we can't have a technique we use all the time suddenly not work in any of our modules.

Pierre Jouan

Seems I've got the same kind of problem.

I updated a SL2 file where I've got 4 boolean variables that lock navigation once 4 sections (scenes) have been viewed (a trigger sets each variable to True when a scene is viewed.

Those trigger-set variables are ignored unless I set them to True by default! 

Leslie McKerchie

Hi Pierre,

Thanks for letting us know that you are running into an issue as well.

With your permission, I'd like to take a look at your project file to investigate what's happening. You can share it publicly here, or send it to me privately by uploading it here. I'll delete it when I'm done troubleshooting.

Lindsey Statler

Hi Leslie,

I'm having a similar issue. Unless it's user error??? I'm trying to set the Next button to hidden when the timeline starts, and then change to normal once the slide layer is viewed and the user is brought back to the base layer. I'm using a T/F variable. I've included a sample file for review. Please let me know if this is user error or a technical issue. Thanks!

Katie Riggio

Hello, Wyeth!

Thanks for writing in and for opening a support case! I'd love to share Johnrey's findings publicly in case others have the same experience:

It looks like the trigger won't work when the variable value is between 6-2. That's because the starting value was greater than the ending value.

For this trigger to work, the values must be in the right order, wherein the first value or the starting value should be the lowest number and the ending value being the highest number. For the trigger, change the values 6 and 2 to "between 2 and 6" instead.

More details here: Storyline: Between Operator for Trigger Conditions Includes Your Starting and Ending Values

Let us know if you need anything else!