SL 360 Publish to Articulate 360 - Doesn't Suggest Existing Item

Jan 05, 2017

Hi all,

I've been having a consistent issue across multiple projects with Storyline 360 not remembering that I've published a course to Articulate Review.  I generally like to publish to Review to test a course, then head back into Storyline to make some edits.  When I go to publish the update to Review I almost always get the suggestion to "Create a new item" rather than to "Publish a new version of an existing item" even though I published the item recently.  

If I select the latter and open the dropdown box to select the existing item, the "Previously Used for this Project" section is empty save for a message that I "have not published this project before."  I'm attaching a screenshot so you can see what I'm talking about.

A couple things about my setup that may help diagnose the issue:

• I tend to save various copies of my .story projects as drafts so I can revert to an earlier version in case I need to recover something.  So the .story file I'm publishing isn't always the same one that originally created the Review file.  However, the issue still exists if I publish the same .story file multiple times to Review under the same name, so it's not remembering that I just selected a specific Review project as the "correct" project for this file.
  • If I select "Create a new item" and make a new project in Review, Storyline seems to remember that new item across a few .story versions, then unexpectedly forgets it at unpredictable times.  

Any help or suggestions that anyone has would be greatly appreciated.  This is currently more of an annoyance than an actual issue since I can still find the Review project under my list, but it would be great to get this sorted out if possible.

Thanks!

9 Replies
Crystal Horn

Hi Amanda...thanks for reaching out.  I've been trying to reproduce this on my end, but every time I edit and republish to Articulate 360, I'm appropriately prompted to update the existing content.  When you say that after a few versions it fails to remember publishing, can you give us a range?  Five to ten?  I've done 6 and haven't had an issue, but this is all from the same project file.  I haven't saved multiple drafts; I just overwrite the existing file with my changes.  Also, I'd be sure you're working and saving your work to your local C: drive.

This issue is new to me, so I think it'd be great, even, if you can work with our support engineers on what your process is so that we can be sure Storyline 360 is functioning the way it should be! 

Amy Lewis

Hi Crystal, I think you correctly diagnosed it.  I'm saving my .story files on my network drive which is causing the issue.  Storyline 'remembers' the project across multiple versions while I'm connected to my network, but once I disconnect and then reconnect to the network it 'forgets,' even in the same version of the .story file.

Unfortunately it doesn't look like this is something I'll be able to fix since our IT department doesn't allow local saving for backup and security purposes.  But at least now I know what's causing the issue.

Thanks!

Crystal Horn

Thank you for dropping back in with that information!  It's actually really valuable for us to understand how working on network drives specifically impacts different functions of our products.  I'll include your discussion with my team, as we've been curating instances of when network drives cause failure.

Thanks again, Amanda!

Crystal Horn

Amanda- one last request if you're up for it.  Can you let us know the Windows version you're using?  Also, do these steps sound right for you, regarding producing this behavior:

1. Create and save a .story on a network drive.
2. Publish to Articulate 360.
3. Make edits and republish to 360. (Should remember versions at this point.)
4. Save and close Storyline.
5. Disconnect from the network drive. Reconnect.
6. Open same .story, make edits, and republish to Articulate 360. Make note of whether you're prompted to update an existing item or to create a new item.

Thanks again for contributing!

Amy Lewis

Hi Crystal,

I'm running Windows 10 Enterprise 2016, Version 1607, OS Build 14393.576.  However, this issue existed on my last two builds of Windows as well (Win 7 and then Win 10), though I don't know the version or build details for those previous versions.

The process you described is exactly what I did to diagnose the issue yesterday.  On Step 3 it remembered the file, and on Step 6 it did not.

Let me know if there's anything else you'd like to know!

Ali Goulet

Hey Amanda!

Great news - Articulate 360 Update 5 is now available! It includes a number of fixes detailed in the release notes here.  

The item you may be interested in is how it fixed the issue where publishing an existing course to Articulate 360 would create a new content item in Articulate Review rather than adding a newer version to the same course

Launch the Articulate 360 desktop app on your computer and click the “Update” button next to each tool.

Let us know if you have any questions!

This discussion is closed. You can start a new discussion or contact Articulate Support.